1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who beat Mike Tyson in the NES classic Mike Tyson's Punch Out???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Back in the day beating Tyson was the Holy Grail for video gamers. Everybody owned the game and that was always the first question you asked: "Beat Tyson yet?" You'd always hear of guys who'd done it but nobody ever saw it.

Anyone have Buster Douglas's Punch Out?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Huggy, I will pray for your soul, and the souls of any offspring you may produce in your life.

3. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Beat him back in 1987...one of the greatest days of my young life. Once I figured out to not get nervous during the first 90 seconds, dodge when he telegraphed his KO punch, then push up to get back to center quickly for a counterpunch, I survived the hardest part of the fight. From there on, it was just patience and perseverance.

I love all these NES threads, btw....good memories.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

what hell! there was a code in punchout?!?!?!?!!?

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

What about Vodka Drunkenski?

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I think I'm gonna have to pull out the old NES this weekend.

This thread is calling for a Mike Tyson/RBI Baseball/Contra weekend.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Can't beat him. I coached five fraternity brothers to wins over Tyson (select button between rounds! SELECT BUTTON BETWEEN ROUNDS!!!), but can't beat him myself.

I couldn't even beat Soda Popinski at the height of my Tyson days, at 8 years old. His "HA-HU-HA-HU-HA-HA-HA" laugh haunts me to this day.

Once it was discovered in my neighborhood that my father was better than me in Tyson...I took so many ass-beatings.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Good. You deserved for allowing that to get out.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The key to beating Tyson is definitely surviving those first 90 seconds. Dodge, throw two punches and dodge again. It gets a little tricky when he deviates from his pattern and pauses an extra few seconds before throwing, but once you learn it and survive the initial onslaught, the rest involves just sticking and moving.

Never discount the stars you can get by stunning him at times, although you've got to be VERY picky as to when you throw them because his recuperation powers, not surprisingly, are strong.

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

You think I'd admit that at the time? It was that jerk of a younger brother who threw me under the bus.

11. Echoing the comments from earlier. Beat him on a cold January day back in '89 after many, many tries. I remember the time of year because it was the same day as my uncle's funeral. Died of a heart attack at 39. I remember sitting in my room afterwards, playing while my older family members congregated elsewhere in the house. I was overjoyed I won, then felt really weird about it.
    Did beat him a couple of more times, but like they say, you never forget your first.

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Glad someone else remembers the code for Tyson. Phone numbers or addresses might fade, but I don't think I'll ever forget that code. Beat Tyson plenty of times. Soda Popinski was a favorite, and so was Piston Honda, parts I and II: "Sushi, Kamikaze, Fujiyama, Nipponichi!"

Draft saved Draft deleted