1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who beat Mike Tyson in the NES classic Mike Tyson's Punch Out???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Keeping this line of great NES threads going, did anyone dominate as much as I did in Tyson? I've knocked Tyson out in the second round before. I even remember the code -- 007 373 5963. Sad, I know.

Any favorite characters? I'd have to go with Don Flamenco. Between the rose in the teeth, the receding hairline between rounds when you are kicking his ass and the classic 32-punch knockdown you were guaranteed the first time you faced him, the guy was the best.

Anyone else?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Soda Popinski. And yes, I've beaten Mike Tyson.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Patience, I learned, is a virtue. Wait 90 seconds and rewards you will reap.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, B, A, Start

Oh wait, wrong game.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I beat Tyson once ... in about a million tries. I also loved Soda Popinski, because he said such stupid things like "I'm gonna make you punch drunk!" Hated Bald Bull, especially the second one.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I beat Tyson for the first time in college, by decision, no less.

Those of the Bald Bull/Mr. Sandman ilk always gave me the most trouble. I also used to drag out the King hippo match to two rounds, just so I can see what he said.

7. I beat Tyson once. Mr. Dream was a lot easier.
    King Hippo was my favorite. How can you not love a guy who puts tape over his belly button?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Never could beat Tyson.
    And w/o the code, I think I only made it to him once or twice; granted, I didn't own the game. Contra? Mario? I owned that shit, though.

9. I fought Tyson about 10,000 times as a kid and never beat him. Only knocked him down once or twice, only got to the third round a few times, never even lost by a decision.

Years later at college, someone brought an NES into a common area and hooked it up to the TV. After a few guys get TKOd in the first 90 seconds, I get the controller and, not having played the game in years, proceed to knock out Tyson in the third round without getting knocked down even once. Between the second and third rounds, I became aware of what was happening and suddenly became so nervous that I started shaking.

Since then, I've probably knocked out Tyson 25 or so times; I'm probably about a 1 in 4 shot to do it most days. As long as you survive those first 90 seconds, you've got a shot. Still, beating Mike Tyson that day definitely ranks as the greatest video game-related accomplishment of my life.

My favorite character was Great Tiger, who definitely warped my 8 year-old view of what people from India could do. It wasn't until years later I realized that they don't have magical powers. My least favorite, without a doubt, was the second Don Flamenco. It was impossible to get that Spanish bastard to throw a punch.

10. I could only beat Tyson by decision, but I’ll take it.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You've never thrown a no-hitter?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never beat Tyson (once got KO'd by Glass Joe) and have never thrown a no hitter.

I am a video game failure.

Draft saved Draft deleted