1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are your journalism heroes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, May 13, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For the record, I would like to see Thor as a personal assistant of one of the Housewives.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agree 100%.

But journalists who I admired and made me want to become a sports writer?

Jack McCallum
    John McClain
    Bob Ryan
    And pretty much anyone who wrote for SI.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Cuirous: Why did Reilly jump the shark in 1999. Sounds like something specific.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The late John William Randoplh "Jack" Cruise.

He covered sports at The Day of New London from 1933 to 1993.

He was one of the last of his kind. Well-dressed, polite, knowledgeable and classy.

I was fortunate to have been able to work with him.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kyle Veazey. He's worked his way up the food chain without three internships, two degrees and one attitude that the world owes him something because he has three internships and two degrees. He's worked for everything he's got in a short time -- which is a lot since I have clothes older than him. [/crossthreading]

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Slap

Johnny Dangerously

Del B Vista

The Rules of Golf (even though I hate that stupid elitist game)

BudMan (even though I hate that godforsaken "lager")

Miles O'Toole

and a cast of hundreds, if not thousands .....

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Back atcha...
    You, Del, JD... 2underpar (Tho my feelings may change by this time tomorrow night)....

Oh, and Bob Cook if for no other reason than he hasn't punched a parent yet...

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tony Saitta, assistant sports editor at the Chambersburg (Pa.) Public Opinion in the early to mid-'70s.

He's the guy who hand-held a 14-year-old through his first gamer on deadline ... and then took the kid down to the pressroom to watch his byline put down in hot lead.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As a young kid my hero was Scott Young who was the Globe & Mail's hockey columnist at the time and also Neil Young's father.

And don't forget Norman Mailer

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wonder, if you posed this question to a bunch of young aspiring sportsjournos today, or in a few years--maybe high school or college kids--would anyone name someone who wasn't on TV?

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm too old to have heroes but I used to. A.J. Liebling, Joe Mitchell (lucky enough to have lunch with him a couple of times), Deford, Nack and Kram. Paul Hemphill and Ax. Eamon Dunphy was my favorite offshore guy. Red Fisher is a good friend who would be offended if I called him one of my boyhood heroes. Had Royko and Breslin collections back in j-school.

I know I'm a voice in the wilderness but Jim Murray never did it for me. I can't explain why.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted