1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are your journalism heroes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, May 13, 2011.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Deford. I have his "best of" book "The World's Tallest Midget" and some of the pieces in that book are just amazing .. especially "The Anglo Meets The Indian." A scathing indictment of boxing before it became fashionable to bash boxing.

I hope to have the time to do those kind of long-form pieces at some point in my career.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

Jim McKay

One reason is that his stories were always about other people, never himself.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Ebert's response to the Thor criticism:
    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/05/my_mighty_hammering_over_thor.html

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Also:

Breslin
    Royko
    Halberstam

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Piotr, I have a feeling Thor could make it rain in a strip club and be a personal assistant in one of Bravo's Housewives shows, and you'd still think it awesome. Ebert has nothing to apologize for.

6. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

starting out as a sports writer in Philly in the 1980s was amazing, because every day you're reading guys like Bill Lyon, Mark Whicker, Stan Hochman, Phil Anastasia, Tim Kawakami, Rich Hofmann, Phil Jasner, Phil Sheridan, Bill Conlin and Ray Didinger

but Jasner was the guy I admired the most, for his insane work ethic, his ability to write & report off the beaten path, just his sharp, clean writing style and routinely terrific story ideas. and of course, his classy way of treating people.

I learned from all those guys but I reckon Phil was the closest I ever had to a journalism hero.

7. T&C

T&C Member

Heinz for sure, Deford, Joe Falls, Paul Hemphill, Jenkins, Roy MacGregor, Earl McRae, Plimpton, Gay Talese

8. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

How the hell did I forget Dick Schapp?

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You'd be quite incorrect.

10. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

Joe Posnanski

If you judge writers by their best work, I'm not sure many would top Posnanski. If you judge writers by their worst work, I'm more confident Posnanski would rank at the top. Being great is, well, great. I think always being at least very good (and ranging up to great quite often) is much more admirable.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Actually, it was a subtle dismantling of the criticism he received from fanbois. An easy read and pitch-perfect.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

His followup was vastly superior to the original review, which had the "I'm just gonna slag every little thing about this one!" tone that he adopts for at least one movie every summer.

He'll probably find a way to slag Thor in every summer review from here, to amusing effect.

Draft saved Draft deleted