1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are your best friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Oct 29, 2014.

?

Who makes up the majority of your closest friends?

1. Friends I've known since high school or earlier

24.2%
  2. College friends

39.4%
  3. Colleagues

3.0%
  4. Other

33.3%
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw something on Facebook tonight about why college friends will always be your best friends. It got me thinking how few friends from college I still see on any kind of a regular basis.

I probably only invited two college friends to my wedding. Certainly none were in my wedding party. I enjoyed college and made great friends there but, perhaps owing to the transient nature of journalism, I rarely see any of them anymore and only really keep in touch with a few through Facebook.

I'd say the majority of my closest friends are guys I've known since high school or earlier.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've known my best friend for 45 years, since fourth grade. If not for Facebook, I don't know that I'd be in touch with any college friends.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I moved around a lot as a kid. My high school friends weren't the greatest in high school. I was the only one of my group of friends that went to college. They all still live in my hometown.

My group of college friends, however...we're spread far and wide but yet, I keep up with them more than I do members of my family. One girl that I've known since Day 1 of college (we lived in the res halls together) is basically my sister. Some of my other best friends are colleagues. But it's easier for me to see eye-to-eye with my college friends and colleagues because we all went to college and had those same experiences. And my HS friends are very much in the marriage-baby stage and my friends from college and I are focused on our careers and doing that. So it's really not hard to see why I keep up with them much more than my HS friends.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Do "The voices in my head" qualify as "other"?

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

My car and my SmartPhone.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I have no friends. No, that's not a "woe is me" comment, it's just that I haven't made any new friends since moving out here five years ago. Most of my friends became friends in college but we all moved in separate directions. The few non-college friends I had moved on with their own lives after getting married. My life is consumed by my young children, as well.

It does get lonely sometimes but with work, family and having gone back to school recently, there's no time for friendships.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My wife.
    That poor, poor woman.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My kids.
    My dog.
    My siblings.

The rest? A mix of a few from college, a few from various jobs, a few from various and sundry other places. Including here.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My basket of friends are a mish mash group from different stages of my life. But my go tos? Ms. Ragu and my oldest sister -- who I could have been really good friends with even if she wasn't my sister.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People I yell at on the internet.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Most of the people who are my best friends are people I've met since college.

I have one or two friends from college who are still close friends.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've known my best friend since first grade. There also are a couple other people in my life that I'd consider just that -- good, important people in my life for one reason or another, and I'd go out of my way for them.

Other than my family, though, the rest are pretty much all acquaintances.

Draft saved Draft deleted