1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are we?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tyler durden 71351, Jul 6, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Author calls for greater transparancy for reporters...says Web sites need to feature pages explaining who we are.
    http://nationaljournal.com/powers.htm

Thoughts? My first response is that no one who reads my stuff gives a crap about who I am. And the ones who want to find bias either won't read my bio page or will jump on the tiniest bit. "Ah-hah! His favorite novel is 'Catcher in the Rye'. That proves he's a godless liberal who hates Christians!"

2. boots

boots New Member

Print journalists can hide too easily. They are known by name only. It would be nice to put a face to a name.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He really is. [/Holden Caufield]

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think making available a writer's resume or career path is a good idea, just to establish to the reader that the person does or doesn't have the experience. And also a mugshot wouldn't hurt.

As far as personal info, what's the point? How is it going to help if the reader knows my favorite book or movie. I wouldn't be ashamed to put it out there (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Snatch, by the way), I just don't see why it would matter.

5. Songbird

Our Web site has bios.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How detailed are they?

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

There's a small bio of me on my employer's Web site...just has where I'm from, where I went to school and some of the stops along the way. No pix. Some co-workers went crazy with theirs, putting shit like their favorite authors and teams. Again, I subscribe to the theory that people who give a crap about that sort of stuff about me already know.

8. Songbird

A healthy paragraph for each, describing what we're about and where we've worked. My mug was taken when I was 60 pounds heavier, too.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I had a former co-worker that would decide on the length of his hair based on what his hair looked like in his mug shot.
    He didn't like to be talked to around town and figured people wouldn't recognize him.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't know about this as a measure of competency. it could go either way. what about all the people just starting in their careers? are they automatically to be deemed unqualified because the bio clearly lists that they've had maybe three internships before this first full-time gig? i know plenty of newbies who are 100 times better than the 25-year veteran with six jobs under his belt.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It'd be a cheap way to get around paying for online dating services.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I thought that was what SportsJournalists.com was.

Draft saved Draft deleted