1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are the most famous man and woman in the world?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was having a late-night discussion with a few journalists the other night and this topic came up...

Most of us were stumped... One of the journalists who was with us, who is in his 60s and has pretty good perspective, said,

Men: Muhammad Ali
    Women: Angelina Jolie

The answer stunned me. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but it was one hell of an interesting discussion. Some of the names that were bantered about were the Pope, the President, Ali, Jolie, Queen Elizabeth...

Curious what your thoughts are...

My friend made a hell of a case for Ali... For the women, I'd probably have to go with Queen Elizabeth, but obviously there are no right or wrong answers...

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'd have agreed with Ali up until the 1980s and since then. Certainly, there was a time when Ali was known everywhere in the civilized and most of the uncivilized world. Now, I wouldn't think as much.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods.

The Olson Twins.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree with AlleyAllen on Ali (that's a lot of A's)...the last time he was in the world spotlight was, what, when he lit the torch at the '96 Olympics? That's too long ago. I'd say President Bush and the Queen. Boring but safe answers.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First male I thought of was Ali. I'm 41 so that probably has something to do with that. I'd have to think Pope John Paul II would have been in the running when he was alive.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

From a less US centric perspective, a few names to consider for men might be Beckham, Yao Ming, and OSama Bin Laden

Tougher for me on the female side. One for consideration: Madonna.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I definitely agree that Pope John Paul II was the obvious answer when he was alive...

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don't know if I'd buy that now. Ten, 15 years ago, definitely.

9. Mizzougrad96

Madonna's name came up in the conversation. So did Paul McCartney's. Tom Cruise, Tiger Woods, David Beckham, the Governator...

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

how about the Pope?

11. Mizzougrad96

Madonna is an interesting choice because she's been around so long and living overseas doesn't hurt that claim... I hate to say it, but Oprah probably deserves to be somewhere on the list for women, maybe in the top 10...

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pope ... he's so 1970s.

Draft saved Draft deleted