1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are the friends of Oklahoma State football?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I read something several years ago (might have been USA Today) that Larry Smith made it a point to call USC "Southern Cal" after leaving.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Here's a great story: A D-1 program I covered opened up its first practice in the town of a minor bowl game they were playing in about six days before the game. The coach didn't think any of the regular beat writers would get down there in time, so they "opened" it for the out-of-town media, basically. This is after the SID called around and asked when we would get down there so they can make sure to have a post-practice interview or two scheduled for us.

Well, I changed my flight and got down there for the open practice. I was the only beat guy to do so. The coach, who is an asshole, was pissed off that I was there and told the SID if I reported on any injuries I saw, "there will be consequences."

Many years later, I'm still waiting for those consequences.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Right at the time USC SID Tim Tessalone was trying to get rid of the Southern Cal references, basketball coach (Jim) George Raveling unveiled the season's new uniforms, which had SOUTHERN CAL across the chest.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The list, in its entirety:

Pickens, T. Boone

The End.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Careful with that thought, 'Du. Chickens fans are sensitive about this one to a serious fault. Trust me on this.

But I couldn't agree more with the sentiment. Both the Chickens and Chapel Hill also like to refer to themselves as "Carolina." Unless you're the Carolina Hurricanes or Carolina Panthers, leave the geographic adjective on the school name.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I never mentioned that I disagreed with the open-door policy, only the opponent media policy. I agree with you. Getting some background info at least lets the school know who is there.

7. amoney

amoney New Member

What about a team practices like it plays. Or you can see the freshman guard pushing the senior for PT, a story right there. Or maybe there is a senior is working with the graduate assistants and really helping to teach the stud freshman, oppps another story.

A lot can be said for watching practice

Draft saved Draft deleted