1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are the friends of Oklahoma State football?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I once "covered" a USC -- that's Pete Carroll's USC -- practice. I was covering the opposing team.

The only people allowed in were the USC writers.
    If you were from out of town, you had to wait outside until it was over.

I don't know if this is legal. I don't know if it's standard policy. I just know it happened.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I swear, I need to stop reading comments associated with stories. This is what gets me every time...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've had that happen to me. Some places it's standard policy.

I was at one basketball practice where the coach refused to start until a columnist was removed. The columnist called the SID over and said, if he throws me out, he has to throw everyone out.

We were all thrown out and practices were closed the rest of the year.

4. scribbler

scribbler Member

The media "friends" allowed into practices are the Oklahoma State radio guys -- which is to say 1) the sports anchor for a Tulsa TV affiliate (color analyst on Okla. St. radio broadcasts) and 2) the gopokes.com guy (Scout.com "recruiting analyst" -- yep, cross-thread, but the recruiting guy, who also has a very local radio show and is the sideline reporter on Okla. St. broadcasts).

Both on the Oklahoma State payroll.

(And yes, it's interesting that the Scout.com guy is on the payroll as part of the radio team, especially in light of the WaPo article and thread elsewhere on this board).

Re: USC's practices. Yeah, they're open to just about everyone except reporters from media outlets that regularly cover that week's opponents. Not an unusual policy, except in most places, practices are just closed to everyone.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

In terms of access, USC is about as good as it comes at the highest level of college football. (Only DI team with open post-game locker room.)

The only frustration would be that out-of-town media is banned for USC practice during that particular game week. I can understand that not knowing whether that beat guy is a huge homer and what his/her intentions are, although I don't agree with the blanket policy.

As for USC's open-door practice policy, I believe they still check driver's licenses and ask some background questions for you to get in.

When it comes to media attending practice, I've always liked Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer's policy: Everybody basically has the other team's playbook. It's about who executes on Saturday.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed.

USC (Trojans) are "USC" and "Southern Cal"

The other one simply is South Carolina.

Deal with it, 'Cocks!

7. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Actually, USC Sports Information hates it when the school is called "Southern Cal." There was a big stink about it in their media guide a few years back. Not sure if it's still there.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with asking for identification. Even if it's open USC has the right to know who is there.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, and Washington State hates being called Wazzu. Who the fuck cares?

10. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Just pointing it out.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

As a reporter covering a Big 12 school that allows almost zero access to practices, being banned from practice would seem to be a godsend. Who wants to watch football practices every day?

I'd be livid if the school I covered opened them up, because then I'd have to go.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gundy probably realizes with expectations comes more pressure. Can't wait for the pile on when they lose one of their look-ahead games.

Draft saved Draft deleted