1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock's Safety Tips For Pro Athletes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In today's Fox Sports column Whitlock as public service provides some safety tips for today's pro athletes. Its a pretty complete list but I figured as a group we could add some more:

Here is Whitlocks list:

9. Removing Sean Taylor from the equation, I'd like to address the growing sentiment among black professional athletes that they are targets of criminals.

People with lots of material possessions — regardless of their color and occupation — are targets of criminals.

If an athlete feels particularly vulnerable, there are precautions he can take that are far more effective than carrying a semi-automatic weapon and travelling with a large posse:

Put your money in the bank. Do not walk around with large sums of cash. Never stuff thousands of dollar bills in a trash bag and head to a strip club.

Do not invest in large platinum or gold chains that draw attention to you. Diamond-studded watches are not a good idea, either. And neither are gold fronts. If you are headed to a nightclub in a neighborhood with $80,000 homes and you're wearing $100,000 in jewelry, turn around, go home and make it a Blockbuster night.

When you are out in public, tell your friends to keep your name out of their mouths. More fights could be prevented if this phrase was outlawed at all clubs: "Do you know who that is?"

If you insist on "tricking out" every car you own, don't ride through poor, working-class neighborhoods flossing your new 22s.

In conclusion, don't paint a bull's-eye on your back. It's disrespectful to flash your wealth and privilege in front of people who have neither. Try to blend into the crowd rather than make yourself the focus of attention

2. Boom_70

- If you have to be with a ho wear a jimmy cap

- never put 22's on a Taurus

-

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boomer, I'm all for you rattling the cage, but do we have to give this clown any more attention than he deserves?

Anything he gets is more than he deserves.

4. Boom_70

BYH my good friend we don't differ on much but in this case we do. I happen to enjoy Whitlock's work.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I ask only because I'm old, I'm white and I live in Indiana:

Does this really happen?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Try typing Pacman Jones into teh google...

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

He put the money in a goddamn trash bag?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

IIRC...yawp.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Stellar. You can take the man out of West Virginia ...

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pretty much.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Those crunk habits were developed in Atlanta

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted