1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FCE, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

JW,
    I will agree with you on the Colts' play-calling in the red zone. However, the coaches' job is to win the game. While they could have been more aggressive, I think making sure they came away with field goals in a game where Chicago couldn't get anything going offensively wasn't the worst of decisions.

As far as handcuffing Manning, I think the Colts did the smart thing by going with the underneath stuff. Clearly, with the rain and the defense Chicago was playing, the Colts took what they were given.

In my mind, your assertion that this "is/was" by far the worst Super Bowl is buffoonery.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, Super Bowl VII was the only one of the 41 I didn't watch all the way through. At halftime, when it was obvious Miami was going to win in the dullest manner possible. I was invited out for a walk in the Rocky Mountain sunshine by a young lady I admired. Returned just in time for Ypremian's pass.
    So that must've been the worst/most boring, no offense intended to the charming Gretchen Perry, wherever she may be today.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Yes, but that one wasn't played yesterday.

4. but i did cover that super bowl and i didn't call it the worst ever. i remember writing about baltimore's incredible defensive performance.

5. trouser, you have a right to your opinion.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I have no trouble with the Colts "settling" for a field goal when Vinatieri made it 22-14.

Say the Colts accept running into the kicker, take the points off the board, then get stuffed on fourth-and-goal from the 1. If the Bears still get the field goal that did come next in the scoring sequence, it's only 19-17. Suddenly, Grossman doesn't feel the pressure to go the length of the field anymore, knowing that if he gets to about the Colts 25, Gould can put the Bears ahead with a field goal. Maybe he doesn't press or gamble so much. Maybe he makes better decisions when he drops back to pass because he knows they don't have to go 80 yards.

But with the Bears being down 22-17, they had to get a touchdown. And Grossman knew it, so he forced it. With an eight-point lead, you pretty much knew the Bears were in serious trouble. Dungy played the percentages, nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I find it hard to fault a coach for a game plan that eventually ended in 12-point Super Bowl victory. Maybe The Sports Guy was right about us wanting to bash all that's good in sports. Except he used the Pats as his example when he should have waited three weeks to write the column about Whitlock and the Colts.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The Colts didn't take any chances on offense because they knew the game could go another 20 years before Grossman led the Bears down the field for a touchdown.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Thank you, and you have a right to yours. Let's get a drink :)

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you google "Gretchen Perry" this is the first thing that pops up...
    http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=658
    A sample ...

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We were in Green Mountain Falls, Colo. at the time, so I don't think they're the same.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Trusting the running game is a big reason why Indy is champs.

After the catch/roughing the passer call that put them at the Patriots' 10 late in the fourth quarter, what did the Colts do?

Run.

Run.

Run . . . touchdown.

A year or two ago the Colts might have forced one or two throws into the end zone, where there are only 10 yards for an entire defense to cover.

They changed their identity somewhat this year.

And they are champs.

And you call that bad coaching?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

well, now I know that my first visit to AOL sports will be my last.
    What a load of junk.
    No one else will tell you the truth, blah blah blah.
    Everybody loves Peyty 'cause he's a whitey. He really sucks. Worst. Quarterback. Ever.
    And on and on it goes. Crap on a cracker, I'm surprised I didn't see a plug for the Wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted