1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FCE, Feb 5, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I fall asleep most every Super Bowl and last night was no different.
    After Benson got hurt, I had a feeling it was done and then the Colts went up and I knew they wouldn't look back.
    Was it the worst game ever? Nah, but coming after one of the better AFC title games in recent memory it made last night look worse.
    I think the real thing to worry about is the NFC. At least two other AFC teams -- New England, San Diego -- would have also stomped Chicago. Maybe more, but my NFL memory is already becoming hazy.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm still searching for the column...

In the interim, I found your column posted Jan. 22, aptly titled "Coaches make dream matchup."

Of note: "By perfecting his Cover 2 defensive scheme, Dungy turned the Bucs into winners, a team that constantly knocked at the Super Bowl’s door. While in Tampa, he also taught Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards the principles and philosophies that would one day make them fine NFL head coaches."

That's the pimp hand, for ya. :)

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That happend in the 90s with 49ers-Cowboys, too. Best game was conference championship.

But at least in the NFL we are spared from fans screaming for a rematch. ;)

4. there's a difference between worst. super bowl. ever. and most boring. super bowl. ever.

trouser, pimpology 101: you gotta make 'em think you love 'em, too.

5. http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16624195.htm

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Sorry, I tried taking pimpology 101 online with the University of Phoenix, but there weren't enough people signed up.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I must say, Jason, that although I think I understand the meaning of your last post, to me and I'd bet over 90 percent of all viewers, "most boring" and "worst" Super Bowl ARE synonymous.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wasn't the Ravens/Giants game pretty boring?

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

... in other words, like a lot of NFL regular-season games.

Super Bowl XLI was one of the more entertaining Super Bowls. I don't think a blowout means that one team was great; it often means that one team simply doesn't have a clue and gets overwhelmed in the excitement. The Colts showed a ridiculous amount of jitters early in the game, with two procedure penalties, and the Bears getting their hands on the ball the first five or six times Manning threw the ball.

Super Bowl five and seven were far worse than this game. Both teams played really poorly in Super Bowl five and the Dolphins didn't play a great game when they beat Washington two years later. And neither coach did a worse job than Jim Fassel in the 2001 Super Bowl or Don Shula in Super Bowl 3.

10. http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/nfl/_a/medias-manning-mania-doesnt-add-up/20070205092809990001

junkie, i don't lie about my age. people know i didn't see the first 8 or 9 super bowls and only read about them. it's still my opinion.

11. and that's why the column didn't stop after the first 4 words.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I agree that this Super Bowl certainly doesn't belong in the top half, and it certainly paled in comparison to the second half of the AFC Championship Game. But until Grossman's pick-6, the Bears were one Rex Grossman deep ball (one of his few strengths) from taking the lead and possibly stealing the game. That in and of itself keeps it from being the worst ever.

The worst ever was the Colts' previous title, Super Bowl V. Cowboys-Broncos (XII) was pretty grim too.

I do agree with Whitlock, however, that worst ever is not the same as most boring, and that there is something to be said in blowouts for being impressed by a team's dominance. The '85 Bears and '89 49ers did this, amongst others. The Ravens defense did this, although it was also very obvious that they were half a team (why else would a Super Bowl winning QB get cut before the next season?).

Unfortunately, great Super Bowls with dramatic finishes (such as Giants-Bills, Pats-Panthers, Pats-Rams) are rare. All the more reason to cherish them when they do happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted