1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FCE, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Huh???

The defense allowed five touchdowns in four playoff games.

Pretty damned good.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The defense played about 14 great quarters.

The kicking and punting was close to flawless for four playoff games.

The offensive line played well in each game, and the running game exceeded expectations against some very tough defenses (Ravens and Bears in particular).

That may apply to the NFC. But in the AFC, you have to earn it.

The Colts, sadly, are a victim of preconceived expectations.

If they don't put up 35 points every game, then something is viewed as being wrong.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're just bitter because the NYC teams don't get that revenue-dictated advantage they have in baseball. Oh wait. Never mind. The only team actually in the state of New York is Buffalo. I keep forgetting.

Sorry, couldn't resist...on to a more serious response...

I will bring this up every time somebody posts this crap. Free agency and expansion are what lowered the overall level of play in the NFL. Football teams rely on continuity, and much of that was lost with the advent of true free agency. Expansion has also diluted the talent pool.

Revenue sharing has been a part of the NFL as long as the league has been a major financial success. It was in place during the good old days some posters on here can't seem to let go.

The salary cap does not lower the talent level of the NFL. Name one good player who does not have a job because of the cap. One. I've put that challenge out there four or five times now and never gotten a response.

Makes me belive that I'm right. Nobody is naming one because there aren't any.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's the truth. After watching the NFL Network replay of the game on Saturday, I can't believe history hasn't been kinder to the Jets' D in that game. They (and Snell) made the difference.

5. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

This thread is a waste of bandwith

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

An improvement ... if you didn't post on it.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

OOP:

1. The 2 "New York" teams in the NFL play not only in the state I live in but the town I grew up in.
    2. If you don't think the Giants and Jets generate more non-shared revenue than the Buffalo fucking Bills or the Kansas City shitwad Chiefs, you have no clue what you're talking about.
    3. The salary cap does not put good players out of work but it spreads the talent because teams are not capable of retaining all of their top stars and are not capable of having quality backups at enough positions. The result is "parity," also known as MEDIOCRITY across the board.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Jets' defensive coordinator that game? Buddy Ryan.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because we know baseball would never have an 83-78 team win the World Series, showing how much parity/mediocrity there is in MLB. ::)

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Oz, to hear OOP and the salary-cap worshippers tell it, there is no parity in baseball because of the economic structure. Only the rich Yankees and Red Sox can win every year.

There is plenty of mediocrity in MLB, the NBA and all sports.
    But when a 35-year vet NFL writer I know constantly complains about the lack of quality teams caused by the combination of free agency, salary cap and non-guaranteed contrtacts, I think OOP's opinions go out the window.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know, but I love to play devil's advocate sometimes.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No... means the fucker's too old and needs to quit.

Draft saved Draft deleted