1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FCE, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting observation .

Jets defense did not get enough credit either in that game or O -line that blocked for Snell.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I agree.

But I sense much of that was guilt/payback for giving him 99.7% of the blame for every other Colt playoff loss.

I always said Manning would win a title if/when he played on the best team . . . but I sure didn't think this was the team.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's not just the conditions. It was a fucking bore after the first nine minutes.

I don't want the game to be played in Denver or Seattle. I want it to be compelling aside from the shopworn storylines. You don't get the feeling that these were two great teams imposing their will, just two that survived the longest.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If that's your standard, you've probably been disappointed in about XXXIX of the XLI games played.

"Survive and advance" is the term they use.

Not "Let us entertain you."

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Speaking of V .. the Blunder Bowl... column from the paper I work at written by one of our writers who wasn't at this year's Super Bowl, but was working in the office that night..
    http://www.nj.com/sports/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1170652004217140.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

How can you expect the Super Bowl to be anything but medicore in a league where legislated mediocrity is praised all year as competitive balance.

You want great teams, you are not going to find them in the modern parody parity-driven NFL.

7. Herbert Anchovy

God forbid that a sport's championship game actually be exciting.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's something that those of us in the business fail to consider sometimes, too.

The game doesn't HAVE to be great, because it's the Super Bowl. It's where everybody you know (except those you work with) gets together, has some drinks, critiques the commericals, makes stupid prop bets.

A lot of those people aren't looking at the game with a critical eye. Which is fine.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Don't expectations play a role in this? I usually consider the teams that win the conference titles to be pretty damn good football teams. Not just survivors. Shitty teams don't get through two or three rounds of playoffs. I don't understand how a 5-point game through the middle of the fourth quarter is not exciting. Every possession was a potential change of the lead for a championship. You don't impose your will when you're playing another top-caliber team. You try to win by a point because that's all it takes.

10. Jim Nantz.
    Never a-freaking-gain.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Somebody's got to win the conference.

The Colts played one great half of football in 16 quarters.

If that's the mark of a 'damned great' team, then something has changed in the last 25 years.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not equitable in the least.

Namath didn't make a single play as physically awesome as the pass to Wayne.... didn't handle the ball 81 times with one turnover in a 4-hour downpour.

Manning was integral to this win.

Namath was window dressing.

Addai's numbers are lessened a bit, also, by the ease that Rhodes carved up the Bears himself.

If there is a legit MVP other than Manning, it is probably Jeff Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted