1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock wronged by Playboy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, May 2, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Throw out the hot-button subject matter and you've got a writer mad at an editor for (in his mind) a misleading headline. That's almost as old as the printed word itself.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Bingo. Whitlock is bitching about a disagreement with his editor. He should have boiled that column down and posted it on this board, because other journalists are the only ones who give a shit. What's next, a column on how he got overcharged in the cafeteria? Jesus.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

As for the newsworthiness of this column, I'm guessing he has been told he can write about whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You certainly have your fingers crossed hoping so.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Surprised they ran it?

They have zero leverage against him.

6. Simon_Cowbell

No. This seems like a before-publication issue.

Much different than a writer seeing a bogus headline for the first time when it is in the paper.

7. trench

trench Member

Actually, if the subject is the use of racial hatred and fear to make money, exhibit A must be Rev. Wright himself.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Makes no difference. He's still talking about in-house, writer-editor stuff. The general public could give a shit. "One editor told me this, another editor told me that..." Whitlock probably thinks people care about all this because he's Whitlock. They don't.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From the way a lot of men's magazines, including Esquire, GQ and Playboy, do their covers, I'm guessing there will be a mention of the Whitlock column on the cover of the magazine.

I'm going to link it because it's probably NSFW, but here's a recent cover. It practically has the content list laid out around the photo.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/spreadit/gggghy.jpg

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

You forgot to add "Faux News", Karl Rove, "BushMcChimpHitler" and "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy."

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

That column was ridiculous. Just a free advertisement for both Whitlock and Playboy.

12. Simon_Cowbell

This public couldn't give a shit is way off.

They care about the idea of being manipulated by the media.

Draft saved Draft deleted