1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock wronged by Playboy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, May 2, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/601764.html

Interesting piece. And to keep this topic relevant, I'll go ahead and throw all the grenades out there ahead of time so no one else feels the urge to.

1. Whitlock has an ego.
    2. Whitlock is overweight.
    3. Whitlock writes about race a lot.

Now, what do you think about the piece? Whitlock gets his point across, but he'll probably lure a lot more people to the magazine, now, which means Playboy wins (right?)

Thoughts?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah...people are going to "read" Playboy for the Whitlock article.

I'd pay good money to hear the guy who uses Whitlock as an excuse for the Playboy on the coffee table.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whitlock centerfold

VISUALIZE

Heh heh...pleasant dreams.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jesus fucking Christ.
    When are you people going to realize that 90% of this fucking country doesn't know nor care about Jason fucking Whitlock.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fire whitlock now!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The column seemed to be more of a, "don't blame me for the headline" piece than a column on how the media is using racial hatred and fear to make money. The job Sean Hannity and the rest of Fox News and other agenda driven outlets are doing on Wright should be exhibit A.

As it is, it sounded more like a guy who sold the rights of his book to be made into a movie, and didn't like it that they changed the title. Ask Phillip K. Dick how he feels about Blade Runner.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This thread was clearly and accurately titled. And once again, you're devilish mouse for some reason clicked on it and offered a response which brings next to nothing to the table.

If no one cares, why do you come on to every single Whitlock thread -- and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE -- and post some hateful response? If you don't care, get the fuck out of here.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh boy. and this thread started so well.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with Shaggy. If we need a quorum on what America cared about, we'd delete almost every thread on the board (especially the journalism ones) and be left with a discussion of American Idol.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of what he wrote or the vessel in which he wrote it, but the guy has a point.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To really render judgment I am going to have to read Playboy column but it seems like Whitlock is contradicting himself from past positions he has taken.

Here is a quote from Whitlock column that he wrote after Sean Taylor was murdered:

"You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration"

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Rev. Wright steps in front of a national-forum type of microphone and announces that the United States Government created the AIDS virus to surpress or eliminate minority populations ...
    and it's Sean Hannity's fault.
    Fascinating.

Draft saved Draft deleted