1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock writes about LeBron's Vogue cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, Mar 26, 2008.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

am i the only one confused by the column?

i'm not sure what whitlock is attacking and defending...

that's how i know it's a weak column.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's the point? Did the John Birch Society buy Vogue all of a sudden? Yeah, they look similar. So what? Maybe the photog wanted to emulate what you have to admit is a very vivid striking image (referring to the Kaiser's Germany, which was likely lily white)

3. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

5. jboy

jboy Guest

Agreed. I could stare at that cover for hours and never think about the King King thing. Ridiculous.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The photo doesn't show Giselle's boobs, unlike the poster's Lady Liberty boobage. So I see no comparison.
    The question he posed was an interesting one though. I'd like to see what Annie L. was going for when she had them pose like that. The mag also has some pictures inside, one of the dancing and playing around. I think Tom might need to get jealous.
    And I until I read the WashTimes column, I didn't realize she was Brazillian. Out of my league or German was my best guess before.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. The Bundchens.
    Making Brazil Beautiful Since 1945.

8. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I can't believe this was made into a controversy. I was stunned when I heard the rumblings about it. At no time did King Kong come into my head. I thought "that looks like NBA superstar LeBron James after he makes a big play, and that looks like supermodel Giselle posing for a magazine." I'm certain there are still many, many actual issues of racism in this country to attack without having to make some up over a fashion magazine cover.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

If LeBron is smiling instead of making a "roar" face, I don't believe there's an issue at all.

10. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'm with you, PP. There are real problems across America, dealing with race and a million other things. There are important social battles to be fought.

This isn't one of them.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... those of who were around in WWI remember that poster well.

Hey, Lebron's a big boy. Can do what he wants. Did he do the photo at gunpoint? Didn't think so.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I saw Vogue at the grocery store today.

An athlete and a hot chick on the cover. Big deal.

Too many people with little brains and too much time on their hands making much ado about nothing.

Then I picked up Gourmet and checked out my 11 items in the 10 Items or Less aisle.

Draft saved Draft deleted