1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock was right

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 9, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He once claimed on SportsJournalists.com that Stephen A. Smith would have a career like Howard Cosell's. Both Smith's and Cosell's careers are dead. He's losing his espn radio gig, after losing his espn tv show, after losing his column.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=4993

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Once SAS started doing general-sports radio and TV, it was clear pretty quick he was out of his depth when he wasn't talking about the NBA or East-Coast NFL teams.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Cosell is dead, so you can't really blame him for not getting work.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Cosell dead is still better than Steven A.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I actually thought his radio show was halfway decent, at least the hour that came on during the national ESPN feed after the Mike Tirico Show. I generally despise ESPN's coverage of the NBA, but SAS was not close to being the worst thing on their broadcasts. Maybe I'm just spoiled by TNT.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Though not a fan -- I think if you look at the lineup of ESPN radio -- Stephen A. was not even close to the worst and most clueless one they have. I mean, have you ever listen to that one guy who calls himself "The Herd" or whatever?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In terms of significance and impact on journalism and sports in general, SAS is to Howard Cosell as Grenada is WWII.

So, yeah, I guess Whitlock was right.

SAS is going to be doing NBA stuff - interviews and stories - which is exactly as it should be. It's what he knows. It's what he's good at.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The only thing I like about Cowherd is that he actually treats college football as its own entity, and not a minor league for the NFL ...

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As we all knew, from the get-go . . . but it took the Bristol suits All This Time to figure it out for themselves.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You left out screaming. He's good at that.

And here I was thinking Whitlock had taken on the teachers as pedophiles issue ...

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I think SAS is pretty knowledgeable about the game. He's annoying as hell, but he knows what he's talking about.
    Plus, SAS shouldn't get all the blame him for his antics. You have to give some of the blame ESPN. Because you know the directors at ESPN are yellin' "come on SAS, we need more of that screaming. Try to get in a fight with Bill Walton. Someone run a highlight of Rasho Nestorvic damnit!" Its so obvious. ESPN's been trying to copy what TNT has with Ernie,Charles, and Kenny(they're excellent) and they've continued to fail.

12. SAS does know basketball. The problem is when they tried to get him to talk about other sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted