1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock undresses ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, he did say he thinks they should be ranked No. 18-23 presently and have no business being in a BCS bowl.

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The attack on Fowler was ridiculous. The guy's as well connected as anybody and talks to a ton of coaches and players every week off the air. There are plenty of "hairdos" in TV who read what someone else wrote, but Fowler's not one of them.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Right.

Because all voters simply pick whoever ESPN tells them to pick.

If this is the case, all the awards are meaningless anyway. Who picks the Maxwell Award, the Walter Camp Award, the Dick Butkus Award, the Chuck Bednarik Award, etc., etc. These awards get 1% of the hype as the Heisman, yet always go to players at big-name schools.

When hasn't the Heisman gone to the RB or QB who had the most national exposure? That's 99% of the award winners.

Ball State's on ESPN every week, all by itself, during a weekday when college football fans and writers should supposedly be paying attention. Yet it's ESPN's fault no one gives a fuck about them?

4. Thank you, Jason.
    Just for being you.
    Yeesh.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

"My goal as a journalist/columnist is to be right about issues others don't see coming or don't have the courage/intellect to address."

That's the Jason I remember. But you know what? He's right -- Ball State IS a great story. There used to be room for great stories on ESPN. Not so sure that's true any more, and it will only get worse when they start broadcasting the BCS bowl games. And why shouldn't players from non-BCS conferences be in the discussion for the Heisman? Back in the day, this WAC quarterback was pretty good. Kid named Detmer, played for BYU. Anyone seen the Cougars on the Mothership lately?

(Regarding the e-mail address, he's always had the ballstate@aol, but he used to use his jersey number. Dunno why he changed it.)

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Please.
    The award is for the best college football player. Do they get it right most of the time? Maybe when it was Tony Dorsett winning it in 76, but not very often.
    I was a Heisman voter for 10 or 12 years back in the 80s and 90s. ESPN was just getting started then, and who did we have in Heisman races then? Chuck Long, for goodness sakes. The aforementioned Gordie produciton.
    It's better if SI cons the world into thinking Gordie Lockbaum deserved a Heisman -- when he was really a D-II player? Or Joe Dudek? -- than it is for an ESPN to talk about the quarterback of the best teams?
    A frequent JW defender here, I'm calling BS on this one.

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Whitlock was born in late sixties; he has no clue about pre-ESPN days.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked it... was an interesting read to say the least. Fowler dropping Ball State was chickenshit after beating Central, but that shouldn't be an overall indictment.

9. Oh, good God, please.
    He's taking a Murdoch check now.
    Forgive me while my teeth explode from laughter.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Whitlock raises some very fair points, but he's just so unbelievably aggravating.

By the way, Mustang, that was a great line.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some good points, not a good column. He was all over the place. That happens sometimes when you have unlimited space.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree. Too much about him and not enough about ESPN. If I didn't already know what was coming, I'd have stopped reading after he mentioned that he'd been on Oprah.

Draft saved Draft deleted