1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: TV sucks and bloggers > print media

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NBC won't have anything to air live in prime time in 2012. They won't get the swimmers to dive into the pool at 3 a.m. London time.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Olympics are getting to me - flipping around the dial tonight and find both the Bristol Nationwide series race and the Cowboys game on CBS LIVE. And I live on the West Coast!

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What assault?
    After years of turning the Olympics into a bad reality show, NBC gave up on that and just decided to show sports. More of it has been live than ever before. And more Olympics sports are on TV than any of us ever imagined there would be.
    My only complaint about the broadcasts is what a piss-poor job they do of promoting their own broadcasts. (Hard to believe, I know). But I can't understand why a quarterfinal volleyball match ends and they're not on there immediately saying, OK, now the US plays Russia at 12:30 a.m. Friday on NBC latenight. They just give you the score, maybe an interview, and move on to the next sport. You have to be relentless to figure out when an event is going to be on.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

whitlock is a fucking tool.

that is all.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think this was a good column with forward thinking that most of us don't have in us.

My opinion is that bloggers will never be super-relevant because they're basically recycling the information given to them by reporters and adding a humorous spin to them. Bloggers need beat writers. Beat writers don't need bloggers.

As for TV, he has a point. I'm on the west coast and wasn't surprised one single f'ing time by what I was watching on TV, and it pissed me the hell off. Especially since NBC didn't have the technology to take the "Live" logo that was stamped to the upper right of my television screen.

I mean, what the fuck NBC? Why say it's live when IT'S NOT?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

OK, let's say something "surprising" happens in Beijing at 8 p.m.

Are you going to be watching live at 5 a.m. to enjoy it?

Be grateful Phelps' finals were all moved to the ridiculous time of 11 a.m. in Beijing.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not all bloggers are Deadspin or TBL.

Thank God.

Draft saved Draft deleted