1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: TV sucks and bloggers > print media

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They can't let that video so easily out of the bag in the a.m.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You bring up a good point about TIVO and sponsors, it just seems odd, that in this day in age something of such significance is not shown live. For events such as the 100 and 200, or any of Michael Phelps races I would venture to say that 90% would know.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Not really much of a Whitlock fan, but I believe he has a legit argument.

Ten years ago, would many of us have predicted what the internet would do to newspapers? Maybe NBC is recording record ratings now, but who is to say it won't change? The peacock is begging people to find another way.

When it comes to electronic access, I'm beginning to believe anything can happen.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

JW watching the NBA on his laptop [​IMG]

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whitlock is dead on. As much as I love watching the events I hate tuning in to NBC because I feel I am giving in to their assualt on our intelligence.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And yet NBC's lawyers were going crazy the first few days of the games make sure that nobody inside the United States could view streaming live coverage of the Olympics from other countries' broadcasters on the tubes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/sports/olympics/09nbc.html?ref=business
    http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/aug2008/gb2008088_798117.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_global+business

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can see why they wouldn't show something like gymnastics, which is a long drawn out competition, twice. But why not show a 10- or 20-second race live in the morning and then again in the evening?
    If it's something remarkable, like Bolt's 100 and 200 runs, you can hype up the replay during the primetime coverage. Word is already out about what happened. You have a lockdown on the TV highlights, for the most part. What does it hurt?

8. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

tell that to the blogger who dug up documents on the chinese gymnasts, forcing the IOC to investigate. or was that investigative work -- which no newspapers managed to pull off -- merely having an opinion? (and, no, i'm not a blogger, nor specifically that blogger)

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I shudder to think about what Whitlock does with his laptop when he "takes it to bed with him."

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Leaves the lid down and uses it as a snack tray.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm glad I watched the opening ceremonies live on a justin.tv feed.

12. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Actually, didn't the Washington Post and NY Times have stories about the Chinese gymnasts even before the games began?

Draft saved Draft deleted