1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock talks about Whitlock, the good 'ol boy network, Rob Parker, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 5, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Whether you agree or not with what was said, how it was said was interesting reading. That makes it a great quote to me.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Whitlock is food for thought many times, even though his approach to his job often leaves him exposed/looking foolish/inappropriate. Dude does know how to lay a hit on someone, which is one of his most entertaining qualities.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

you are quite possibly the unsmartest person i know or ...

please, for the sweet love of the baby jesus, tell me how or why a person not connected to sports journalism would care? i have to think you are lying about who you really are. a person without a connection, as in having worked in, to sports journalism would NOT make that post.

really, dude, who are you trying to fool?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

When he wasn't discussing himself, Whitlock made several fine points and articulated them well. I've always said Whitlock writes very well in bursts but struggles to keep his momentum for full columns. This format lets him unleash and release.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's pretty clear there is no love lost between him and Posnanski...

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Is there any love lost between him and anybody? He is quickly going down an Olbermann-esque path where his obvious talent isn't worth the headaches he brings.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

This is often the key point when it comes to Whitlock.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Please explain to me how that turned out to prove Whitlock correct.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I listened to his podcast with Stefan Fatsis of Hang Up and Listen, etc. in which they both discussed their negative reviews of the Paterno book. After the interview with Fatsis was done, he went on some bizarre rant about Posnanski saying that he wanted him hired in KC, but that Posnanski wasn't the person everyone thinks that he is. He talked about a piece that Posnanski had written about a boxer who Whitlock knew better. The whole thing seemed so petty.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Petty is Whiotlock's middle name.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eventually, there's no love lost between Whitlock and most guys whom Whitlock doesn't mentor.

I do think Whitlock has, on occasion good ideas and appreciates the concept of loyalty. But his rulebook on good journalism has so many byzantine rules to it. You're violating it without knowing it. He's a ingrained, contrarian cynic.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He's Mike Royko

Draft saved Draft deleted