1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock talks about Whitlock, the good 'ol boy network, Rob Parker, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A couple of our old friends get together again, on the 7th anniversary of what I think we can probably consider Whitlock launching the "Whitlock Brand" on The Big Lead.

Discuss as you see fit, I suppose.

(Or don't. But if we're going to post Perlman's interview with Verducci, we should probably post this one too.)

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/04/does-anyone-have-the-balls-to-be-different-from-espn-a-qa-with-jason-whitlock-of-fox-sports/

A rather scathing pull quote:

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's a great quote.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a boxing ring in Canada waiting for him.

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Speaking of Rob, his "vacation" in Detroit is over - he was back anchoring the weekend sportscast tonight. My moles tell me that they wanted to keep him off the air until things quieted down a bit.

5. printit

printit Member

This was a good interview.

6. turski7

turski7 Member

The photo of Whitlock is awesome.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Three questions about First Take? Lord. But why am I surprised?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Schoolhouse Rock needs to rerun that 'Quote Function Junction' video.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No, no running thread. I just think Whitlock would probably be annoyed that we were linking stuff from the "good ol' boys club" and not his "take" on the business. Whether I agree with Jason or not is not the point. I thought his interview would be of interest here, and perhaps spur some discussion. We used to link a lot more of these type of things is all I'm saying.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Got it. Certainly Whitlock is a polarizing figure but some of his opinions end up proving to be very insightful in the long run. For example he had a column about Vince Young after he was drafted that said he surrounded himself with a posse that would hurt his career as an NFL QB. Many disagreed but sure enough he was right. He also had some columns on Barry Bonds suggesting that he was being singled out because of race and no one was going afte the white guys like Roger Clemens. Columns that were much debated and disagreed with here at SJ but now look how things turned out.

Draft saved Draft deleted