1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock still swinging for the fences re: hip hop culture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"football bojanglers" ...

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I guess I was focused more on him trying to steer this from being a "purely" racial thing, but I understand what you are trying to say. I'm a firm believer that there are very, VERY few absolutes in life, and I apply that to hip-hop culture as well, even though I don't care for it very much. Can a particular culture tend to cultivate certain kinds of personalities and behaviors? Yes, of course. But that doesn't mean every person who subscribes to said culture will turn out to be the same, or even somewhat similar.

And I like how Pastor pointed out some of JW's contradictions, too. Well done.

3. No problem, PhilY.
    Your avatar still scares me, though.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So everyone in a strip clubs whacks off in public?

5. That would be what I wrote, if you read with your head up your ass, yes.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

Wish Whitlock had worded that piece a bit more diplomatically--he could've made the point about how the Pats and Colts had avoided taking on players with hip hopish showboat reputations without wording it in such a frank black player v. white player manner. His word choice made me cringe.

And this game of counting the non-African Americans on championship team rosters seems to be a Whitlock hobby. I remember him in June doing a radio rant very similar in tone to this piece about the Spurs, noting that how their little NBA dynasty was built with one of the most foreign least African-American rosters in the league, and once again citing hip hop culture as the culprit. That one didn't bother me as much because it wasn't overtly racial--noting that Tim Duncan and Tony Parker's attitude might be different because they were raised in a different cultural background is one thing-- but making the point by counting the number of blacks v. non-blacks on a championship roster is something completely different that can lead to a lot of problems/misinterpretations.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Good. heh-heh-heh ;D

If I ever get the money, I'm getting a Joker tat sometime in the future.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Has he written a single &$%!ing column in the last year that hasn't included some form of that word?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whitlock is the "anti Rhoden"

These are some very stong statements he makes:

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture have given NFL owners and coaches a justifiable reason to whiten their rosters. That will be the legacy left by Chad, Larry and Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, Michael Vick and all the other football bojanglers.

In terms of opportunity for American-born black athletes, they're going to leave the game in far worse shape than they found it.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The trouble for a lot of us, though, Boom, is that having said those things, Mr. Whitlock never makes his case. It's inflammatory without being illuminating.

11. Yes, the NFL is headed for the rocks because of the music its players listen to.
    And, in 50 years, who knows what untold damage may result.
    This isn't an argument. It's something you spray-paint on a wall.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When does the NBA season start?

Draft saved Draft deleted