1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock out at Fox Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jun 1, 2020.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I am obviously in the minority here; I really enjoy reading Jason Whitlock's columns. And it is not because I agree with him; in fact, I disagree with him about half the time. As an example, I do not believe there is a clandestine and organized "war on football" as he has contended for at least a year now.

What I like is that even when I disagree with him, his presentation of his perspective is such that it makes me think upon my own position(s) and why I disagree with what I just read. Not a lot of columnists do that for me.

That sentiment does not apply to Whitlock's colleague at Outkick.com; I can take or leave Clay Travis any day of the week.

To each his own...

2. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Whitlock is a talented writer and knows how to turn a phrase, I will never argue that.

But my point on him is that he's just like everyone else, just more eloquent. How he's any different than your uncle at Christmas blathering on at the dinner table about how he knows everything and everything would be better if only people just listened to him is beyond me. Whitlock just makes it sound better.

Whitlock could choose to actually inform himself on what he's talking about. Instead he took the self-important route. Just another "journalist" who thinks telling people what he thinks passes as meaningful.

That said, of course his columns can be interesting. I just don't think they contribute anything important.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Eh. I've never read a Whitlock column and thought, 'Man, this guy can write.'

He played an interior line position in college. That's the only edge he's ever had on anyone else.

4. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I mean, I guess he's a better writer than a drunken uncle at Christmas.

Of course, not if you're a Hemingway.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tights ends never get love.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The center is one of the smartest dudes on the team- that is one of the things that has been buried beneath racist football bullshit for decades.

I always thought some part of Whitlock's grudge/neediness was being an offensive lineman.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

O linemen are usually the most emotionally well-adjusted people on a football team - Richie Incognito aside.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anyone who's ever been a football beat reporter at any level knows O-linemen are the best, most candid and most quotable sources.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

It always bothered me that non-lineman positions are referred to as "skill" positions. Yeah, you gotta be big (usually) to be a lineman, but it still takes a hell of a lot of skill to do that job well.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I am beyond sad that I am the one to post this:

jw-1024x773.png

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Doug Gottlieb made me laugh today during a segment on FSR when he said "On Outkick the Coverage today, when not discussing Coronavirus stats they do sometimes talk about sports..., "

Shots fired.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

When you are getting dunked on by Doug Gottlieb...

bumpy mcgee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted