1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock on what's wrong with journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Jun 2, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those able to get aa foot in the door probably have more of an opportunity to do just about anything. I'd think a bigger problem is less of a nurturing environment, fewer chances to learn from a good editor, fewer chances to really stretch out with multi-part story or longform feature.

wheels89 and SFIND like this.
  3. EddieM

EddieM Member

Sports Media Guy has a much fairer, more nuanced opinion than Whitlock ... in my opinion.
    Also, if Whitlock wants to champion the old way of succession, he probably shouldn't mention that's how we ended up getting to read him on such an elevated platform.
    And last jab: I saw the title of this thread and really hoped it was the title of his autobiography.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Skimmed this ... meh.

5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I like reading about sports media. Would folks recommend SMG as having interesting/unique content above and beyond Big Lead, AA, Sandomir et. al?

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What HanSenSE said.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Whitless is what's wrong with sports journalism because no matter the subject, it's always about him.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wish Whitlock would learn and tackle the issue of what is really wrong with Journalism. It's the fact hundreds (thousands?) of good reporters/copy editors/designers were forced out of the business by clueless idiots who don't value writing/editing. Let's face it, higher ups think anybody can do it and are getting rid of anybody who makes a fair dollar.

Draft saved Draft deleted