1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock nails Danica Patrick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by westcoastvol, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dan Wheldon seemed to overcome it.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And had sponsorship for same from Target (and in the case of the disappointing Ryan Briscoe, a co-sponsorship from Pioneer Electronics and a separate boost from Toyota); that money is no longer available. However, with the exception of Dixon's one win it's hard to call Ganassi's IRL effort last year anything other than a total clusterfuck.

If either could pull together sponsorship for a third team, they'd have signed her. Penske hasn't run a third team in open-wheel competition in about a decade. He had three cars for a long time and obviously has a firm grasp on the logistics involved. If a corporation chose to pony up the sponsorship dollars Ganassi or Penske felt was necessary to put Danica Patrick into a competitive car, the deal(s) would have happened. Evidently, nobody was willing to pay up.

3. JackS

JackS Member

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the Darren Manning-slash-revolving-door-replacement-driver debacle of last year. Wow, that was terrible. Just makes my point further that all of these teams have down years.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I seem to recall that Bodine and his own brother hated each other's guts a few years ago. Was it Brett or Todd that he feuded with? Are they still on the outs?

And Whitlock, you've been told here time and time again why many of us choose not to publicly reveal our identities. Obviously you're far too important to either: a) read these reasons, and; b) try to fathom their meaning. So, we'll try again.

Not all of us are well-known columnists at major metros. Not all of us have bosses who would appreciate us revealing who we are, much less whoring ourselves out because publicity is the only thing we enjoy more than a third trip to the buffet line at the all-you-can-eat pimpfest.

But just because we don't "sign our name" to our opinions does not make them any less valid than yours or anyone else's here. Quite frankly, the one-note sermon you preach any time someone criticizes your writing or your flawed opinions is very tiresome and I think I speak for many here when I say you really should stop.

Related to that, while it's honourable that you use your own name to express your opinions and are brave enough to come on here to attempt to back up those opinions, that honour and bravery are somewhat tarnished by the incessant whining that results whenever you are criticized. While all journalists are expected to let harsh words roll off their backs, columnists must have even thicker skin because of the very nature of their work, and you know that as well as anyone does.

If you can't take the heat that your columns generate, perhaps you really should rethink your career choice.

5. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Just for the record, I would like to see more people reveal their true identities on here.

What's so bad about it? If you're going to say something so controversial or mean that you want to be anonymous, then shouldn't that be a sign that you shouldn't say anything in the first place?

That's just my thing.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not anonymous because I want to say things that are controversial or mean. I'm anonymous because I'm not confident my bosses would appreciate me posting on this site.

People have lost their jobs before for things they've posted here, whether those things were mean-spirited or not. I'm not particularly anxious to follow in their footsteps, because my kids need a roof over their heads, clothes on their bodies and food in their stomachs.

That's just my thing.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Also Jeff, and this obviously applies more to the women than to the men, I've gotten several inappropriate PMs from various guys on the site. I'd hate for those guys to know what my name is. . . I don't want them showing up on my doorstep thinking they're gonna get somewhere.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm anonymous because ... oh wait, never mind.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

These PMs should be forwarded to us promptly. We frown on that kind of thing.

10. Double J, thanks for opening my eyes. I just can't take it anymore. Who am I kidding? I curl up in a little ball every night and cry myself to sleep thinking about all of the harsh criticism my columns provoke. I'm giving my two-week notice this afternoon. I'm outta here. What a cowardly fool I've been.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I note a hint of facetiousness on the part of J_W.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Plus we'd hate to see the poor guy get his ass kicked by sportschick. . . oh wait. . . no we wouldn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted