1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock lands at Foxsports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Gee, the man who, from his perch at the VIP room of some "gentleman's club," is going to save us all from the corrosive effects of popular culture takes a big check from Rupert Murdoch, a man whose overall dedication to the cause of civil rights in the country that gave him a tinpot citizenship is obvious from every other one of his news operations.
    JW, a man of integrity.
    What a freaking guy.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I find him simplistic and a one trick pony as a columnist. He lives of anecdotal issues to make broad generalizations which satisfies most people made for TV consumption of finding solutions to issues that are much more cumbersome and intricate then his writing alludes to.

In other words, he's going to fit right in with Fox. Considering this is a guy in the past who said he doesn't watch Fox or follow politics, I'm not surprised that he's found a home there.

3. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

Let the man make his paycheck. How much do you think he spends in groceries every week?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A fat joke? How old are you, 12?

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL!! No one is stopping anyone from making money speaking their opinion. But he's far from insightful and is nourishment for folks with limited appetites for things they cared little for in the first place. I just find it amazing that a group of journalists on this site give his history poorly researched articles praise, but then again, viewing the subject matter he touches and the people he covers, there's little caring on their end in the first place to holding him up to ethical standards they'd otherwise ask to be upheld.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

Agreed, Joe pretty much nailed my thoughts as well. Whitlock's a damn talented writer with balls of steel. He's got a knack for knowing exactly when to say what others have begun thinking but are afraid to say. But his ego can definately get in the way. Today's piece is a good example. The Ball State discussion was good IF you get past the grating "nobody does football better than me" part that preceded it. He'd be better if he checked the self-aggrandizement at the door.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No one is going to accuse him of being the best wordsmith in the country. Hell, he's not even the best writer at his own paper...

But as someone pointed out, Whitlock has balls of steel and is willing to go places where other columnists are too chickenshit to go... That's what makes Whitlock consistently one of the most compelling reads in the country...

8. jboy

jboy Guest

How are you able to type using only one hand?

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

100 percent accurate.

Very strong piece from Whitlock. As usual.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Are you calling Murdoch a racist, and assuming that it is so clear cut that anyone who works for him must agree with your assessment? Isn't that a bit much even for you? Eh, I guess not.

11. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Felt compelled to take a moment to clear something up...

We had Vivian Stringer on First Take the other day and it was evident she had no idea that Kia Vaughn decided to sue. Me and a few others made note of her expression when she was told about the lawsuit and the look on her face when we aired Rutgers statement was...not good. It was a complete coincidence she was on the show when Imus and Vaughn made news. She was in Bristol to speak at a diversity seminar.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow - between Kreigel and Whitlock that is two very strong columnists with very definate opinions.

Fox Sports has fast become a must read.

I wonder if AOL will take issue with Whitlock still using his "Real Talk" tagline.

Draft saved Draft deleted