1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock lands at Foxsports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 16, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That was the one line that bugged me. Clever but cheap.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The two most fearless sports columnists are Whitlock and Simers... Neither is ever boring and love them or hate them they're always must reads...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is what I have been thinking. What's the over/under on Fox? And what site is next on the tour? And what happens when only YouTube is left?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Him and JDV start doing vids together?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Naw, JDV would make Whitlock look fat . . .

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

A great illustration of what my old mentor taught me: if you love a line or a turn of phrase too much, out it goes. I'll bet JW was grinning like a cheshire cat when he wrote that one.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He should have been. It was a great line.

The fact that one person loves it while another is bothered by it makes it an even better line...

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I can't wait to see our Teddy Bear all bundled up in Philadelphia, taking the toss from Terry Bradshaw at the NFL Championship Game.

This may make him a TV star.

Maybe a Simpsons guest spot....

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It was clever the first time....the repeats are too easy....like fat jokes.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Everything he wrote about Thompson pretty much hits the mark.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I give Whitlock major points for being provocative, an original thinker, and for never playing favorites. He criticized Wilbon and the Thompsons in a way that most columnists, especially African-American ones, would shy away from. But...

He's certainly not an elegant writer. The Womandela stuff, for instance, is just sophomoric. I also don't like how much he seems to love himself -- I hated the line about how "no one writes as intelligently about football as me," or whatever it was. Maybe he's being tongue-in-cheek, or maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I think a good editor would tell him to cut that shit out. I usually come away from a Whitlock column thinking he's good, but not as good as he thinks he is.

12. Perfectly written...

Draft saved Draft deleted