1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock lands at Foxsports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 16, 2007.

1. da el g

da el g Member

spnited to the white courtesy phone

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

C. Vivian Stringer... clearly the first person the lay claim to victim-hood in relation to race.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Anyone care to explain to the uniformed why Whitlock stopped posting?

4. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

I love how Whitlock goes for the nuts and keeps on squeezing.

He hangs onto perceived hypocrisies like one of Mike Vick's pit bulls like a medical clamp.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

as an old-time newspaper guy. i can't believe jason doesn't get more grief for having an internet site column in addition to his k.c. star column. i also can't fathom why the star lets him do this.

thoughts? ??? ??? ???

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He got mad at me once, or more than once. I think he may have blocked me.

I can get pretty blunt when breaking down the barriers between the races.

I have a masters degree in education, so a lot of what I know or have seen hurts when you hear it when talking about minorities.

I still respect the heck out of him. If there was 100,000 Whitlocks and not 100,000 Mike Vicks out there America would be a lot better off.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm still trying figure out her Imus payday. Did it come with her OJ prize?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sometimes, he doesn't let go of things easily. He's always been that way. Excellent column.

9. OK, maybe it's just me, but I need to know -- do you all think this is good writing?

In his time on AOL, and now this, what's pretty much been my only exposure to him, I might've found three columns well written.

Maybe it's just his style I don't like, but I genuinely don't think he crafts a good column. Yes a column should have opinion, but reading the greats -- Murray, Royko, Posnanksi, Smith, Breslin -- I don't see almost any "I, me, we," unless it is needed or first-person.

I don't know, maybe it is just me...

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's Whitlock's personal style. Is he as good at prose as Posnanski? No. But that doesn't make him any less effective a columnist. He gets people thinking and talking. Plus, unlike other highly opinionated columnists such as Mariotti, Whitlock doesn't read like he just formed his opinion yesterday.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree, getting people thinking and talking is the first job of a columnist. I would say 99 percent of the readers cannot tell how a well crafted column reads, so I do not think it is as important.

I think Royko went first person with his classic Belushi columns. I know Murray did with his wife.

Whitlock did start in with it right out of the gate, though.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's my hero for the Nelson Womandela line...

Draft saved Draft deleted