1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: JT III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 31, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme

D_B, you prove yourself to be the dumbest shit any of us know every time you post.

It's truly a gift.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme

Whitlock wrote:
    That's complete bullshit. Georgetown has applicants from all over the country begging to get int to the #23 academic institution in the country. Georgetown's student body, is significantly more diverse than it's basketball team.Besides, Georgetown, is located in.. ta da.. Georgetown, one of the safest, most affluent and beautiful neighborhoods not only in DC, but in the DC metropolitan area. George Washington University, less than a mile from the White House and American University a few mile north of GWU, are all in DC, all highly competitive and all admit less than 25% of those that apply and all significantly more white than black, but all 3 institutions, Georgetown American and George Washington are significantly more diverse than Howard University.

Was Thompson a racist, no way. He didn't believe in the superiority of any race, but he was extraordinarily comfortable coaching young African American men. He believes that he has a unique rapport, approach and ability to communicate with them. Black parents love him, He speaks the old school language and presents pre civil rights black family values, school , work, pride.

His US versus THEM approach was based on being black and underappreciated. He was racial but not racist.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I believe it happened simply because you pulled the Ron Lemasters' card.
    But John Thompson was a racist.
    You said it yourself in a way when you quoted Ronny Thompson: "
    “My dad always said, ‘If I was a white player, I wouldn’t want to play for me, either, based on how I’ve been portrayed."

He didn't even try. He snubbed a race.

John Thompson was a great coach. Pity he wasn't an equal-opportunity coach.

4. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

OK, but it does surprise me he'd say that. As I recall Dan Majerle was that sole white guy on that team and I don't know who else other than Rex Chapman even arguably should've been on it, so I'd agree that's a bum rap if Majerus said it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

JT II coached Georgetown for 27 seasons. Anybody know how many Caucasian-American scholarship players he had on his rosters during that time?

My guess on the over-under would be 10 -- 6 within the first three years of his tenure.

That said, he was a great college coach.

A horrible, stupid, intractable Olympic coach, but great in college.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

Around the time of Ewing, they had a big white guy, last name was Dunn, who transferred to Georgia and had a pretty decent career. But you're right, I can't think of any others offhand, unless Esherick was one.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

How someone is portrayed by others isn't the same as how they act with others. I take that quote as Big John saying he felt that he didn't get a fair shake from the media when it came to race issues, not that he was racist.

8. Christ

Christ Guest

I just wanted to drop by and affirm that yes, Whitlock is the second coming.

May I write the foreword on your upcoming book, Jason? A little self-promotion never hurts. I really need to get in with the young black youths.

Oh, wait. Who am I kidding?

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Isn't this the same arguement Bobby Knight supporters use?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

When the fuck has Bobby Knight been called racist?

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

When he brought/used a whip at an NCAA press conference?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

First of all, he was criticized for "whipping" Calbert Cheaney.

Secondly, most sane people saw it as Bobby just being Bobby. Which is to say an unrepetant douchebag just being an unrepetant douchebag.

Nice try. Saying people say the same things about John Thompson as they do about Bobby Knight is almost as accurate as your original headline here. Douche.

Draft saved Draft deleted