1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: "Jim Brown is the Most Important Athlete in American History"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 29, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Also, Brown hasn't exactly made it easy for the media to portray him as a role model. He has had anger issues and he has taken cheap shots, like the one at Woods.

Whitlock raises some good points, but let's acknowledge Brown's own role in the creation of his image.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jim Brown also had an anger-management problem with women that lasted until just recently. Jase kind of brushes that aside.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's hard to measure success. Has it helped areas in Los Angeles? Yes. Has it had an impact across the country? Not much that I can see. However, I do applaud the effort Jim Brown has taken in trying to curb urban violence and helping youth.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Brown is often overlooked today as one of the greatest athletes of all-time.

If you're under 30, you may barely even know who he was.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Those under 30 only know what people over 50 have told them.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Couldn't you make a case that you really had to see him to appreciate what he was as a football player?

I mean, I think I understand what a force he was, and the highlights give you some idea, but seeing him do it in person, or live on television, must have been something to behold.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Jim Brown as a football player was a bitch. Those who have broken his record don't come close to him as a player. If it was fourth down and I needed the yardage. He would be the one who would get the ball every time.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The greatest, and I love Bo Jackson, but Brown tops them all.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ali is a more important athlete in American history. Jim Brown is up there, though. I like how he doesn't take shit.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bo Jackson was an incredible athlete but you're right, Brown does top them all. Another person, just on athletics alone, you have to include Deion Sanders.

11. Mizzougrad96

I never saw him play. But growing up, I watched Walter Payton and Franco Harris go after his records, so I think people my age (35) have an appreciation of how great he was.

I don't think that's true with some younger people. I heard from a friend that a young NFL writer was doing a story on the best running backs of all-time and had Brown listed No. 8. One of his editors called him up and told him to have Brown anywhere out of the top 3 would be a travesty. When the list ran, he was No. 1.

12. Mizzougrad96

Ali would be my No. 1. Jackie Robinson would be No. 2. Brown might be No. 3.

Draft saved Draft deleted