1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: "Jim Brown is the Most Important Athlete in American History"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just catching up on Fox Whitlock columns. The man is on a roll. His column on Jim Brown makes a strong case.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/9730582/Jim-Brown%27s-my-hero,-Tiger-doesn%27t-have-to-be

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That was about a month ago. I think there was already a thread on it, too, but I'm not sure.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - mentioned that I was just catching up on a few of his columns that I missed. In advance sorry to all if there is already a thread on this one. Clearly the Mods have a right to take down if this is redundant.

I do recall a recent thread on his Serena Williams column but nothing on Brown.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Interesting point. HBO recently did a piece on Jim Brown and Bill Russell. As someone who was alive and remembers their playing days and more importantly, their impact on society in general, Whitlock forgot about what Russell did. The two were always working together for social change.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Was just watching the History Channel special on 1969 and it featured ... good ole Jim Brown. He was good looking in his prime. Now,not so much.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, father time is kicking Jim in the ass.

7. JackReacher

Ah. Maybe it was the Serena thread I was thinking about. My bad.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't know why but that cover makes me think of this:

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If we had a thread on this, I don't recall it.

10. JackReacher

Yes, Moddy. That's why I said I may have been thinking about the Serena thread and got them mixed up.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is a lot packed in that column, and I wholeheartedly agree with his stance on Ali. I don't agree about ripping on Woods. For one thing, Woods is in the prime of his career. He hasn't been retired for decades. And Woods' program is a helluva lot more than 'teaching inner city kids how to play golf'... Brown took a cheap shot at Woods.

Maybe Jim Brown is the most important athlete ever - I don't know. I'd certainly like to know more about the Amer-I-Can program. Has it had real success? Examples?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Guess Jackie Robinson is getting lost in this conversation.

And Ali wasn't just a draft-dodger. He was an important part of the history of that war and how it eventually came to an end.

Draft saved Draft deleted