1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock Hits Another Out of The Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 25, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Haven't read all of this thread, nor the one Boom nuked, nor the now-locked merged thread, so thius might already have been addressed.

Has the King of Black America discussed why he turned down WFAN's offer to take over Imus' spot?
    Could it be the great JW knows he'd be a failure in a real city instead of Kansas City?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Someday, hon, explain what a tendancy is.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"spnited it's good to be king -- no?" / Jason Whitlock

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And I ask again, boom and JW, did the King of Black America turn down FAN becuase he knows he's a small market jerk who's be a failure in New York?

5. IU90

IU90 Member

Why does he need New York? He appears to be the most talked about sportswriter in America right now (and, on this board, by a landslide) operating out of KC.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because he is on this board doesn't mean a lot of other people are talking about him.

7. IU90

IU90 Member

OK, well then does a week filled with appearances on Oprah, the Today Show and MSNBC mean anything? Spnited, I know you hate Whitlock, but you can't deny that the guy is red hot right now. Name another sportswriter who's generated more buzz the last couple months.

8. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

For what it's worth, Cam issued an apology this morning:

STATEMENT OF CAMERON GILES, DIPLOMAT RECORDS

"In 2005, I was a victim of a violent crime. I was shot multiple times without provocation by two armed men who attempted to carjack my vehicle. Although I was a crime victim, I didn't feel like I could cooperate with the police investigation. Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying its right, but its reality. And it's not unfounded. There's a harsh reality around violence and criminal justice in our inner cities.

"But my experience in no way justifies what I said. Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime. Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

--

"Stop Spinning"

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

If I want to get credible news on black america, I listen to News and Notes with Farai Chideya.

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=11
    She brings in knowledgable guests with twice the "insight" than the surface level rants of Whitlock.

PS: This "stop snitching" thing has morphed out of the long history distrust by the African American community and the police who have done a poor job of community policing over the years.

Anyone thats willing to speak on this should do some research.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

sorry Spnited, people are certainly talking about him.......last week my wife asked me if I ever heard of Whitlock. She doesn't follow sports, and wouldn't know Gary Smith from Wil Smith.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oprah.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Obviously.

Draft saved Draft deleted