1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock Hits Another Out of The Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whitlock and A-Rod are neck and neck for who has hit more out of park in April

Here is another of Whitlock:

http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/_a/stop-snitchin-says-a-lot-about-black/20070423102609990001

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Then put your little hand in mine
    There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb ..."

3. i'm just passing this along in hopes of eliciting discussion. believe it or not, i come on this site to sharpen my arguments. anyway, i had lunch (at gates bbq) today with the chairman of the u.s. civil rights commission, a bush appointee, gerald reynolds. among other things, we discussed my theory that the hopelessness in the u.s. prison population is being passed on to the children, friends and relatives of the inmates and that hopelessness is fueling a dangerous youth culture. i explained my belief that we can't reach the children until we diffuse some of the hopelessness inside prison walls of the fathers. my point really hit home with gerald reynolds, a fan of The Wire, when i explained that you have to reach the "wee-beys" if you want to spin the "namonds" a different direction. anyway, gerald reynolds agreed to continue the discussion with me. he said i gave him much to think about. he seemed genuinely interested.

who knows? but we might as well debate it here and maybe i'll have something new to take with me the next time we chat.

4. since you're starting a new thread, could you go with a less divisive thread title. my name in a title invites troublemakers.. also, in your first post could you change "hot" to "hit"?

we might as well do it right this time.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The single biggest problem in the black community may be all that impregnating going on.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hey I know that I am on ignore mode with you, but what I want to get across is that the problems created in the last 15-18 (Tupac died 11 years ago) years by the gangster lifestyle is much more deep rooted then many people believe.

The Wire was not an exaggeration of what goes on, and it is not always in the roughest or worst parts of the city. They chose middle school students for a reason on that show. That is the point in their life where they will either go the correct path or the incorrect path. Once they have made the choice, it is tough to change paths later in life. Sure, it can happen, but it is rare.

One of the best ways to understand and battle a problem is to go to root of the problem and immerse yourself in the data or the problem itself. Go to the schools, the elementaries, the middle schools, the YMCA's, and Rec Leagues and see what is happening at the base level.

The higher up you go in administration, the further you are going from the problem. For example, whoever heads up education for President Bush probably has not been in a classroom with children for an extended period of time for a very long time.

Vivian Stringer is just a tip of an iceburg, and 90 percent of most iceburgs lie beneath the surface of the water.

If you want to make a dent in the problem, it will take years. And the place to start is with the young. It will be easier to reach them than their parents.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Would those be the sagging pants you wrongly attributed to homosexual behavior in a previous column? Have you revised your stance after having the proper information provided for you?

In terms of "prison culture"... well it all begins in the home.

I'm also not quite sure when Stringer stated that Imus' words were more harmful. However, had I been on that team, I'm sure Imus' words would have been.

8. What in hell does Vivian Stringer have to do with the gangster lifestyle?
    What iceberg is she just the tip of?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is what the focus seems to be in many of the posts. She is not the problem.

10. I don't know, JW. Brother Reynolds seems to be everything that this administration wants a head of the civil rights commission to be -- namely, not much interested in civil rights.
    Mr. Google is not kind.

http://www.ashbrook.org/events/lecture/1998/reynolds.html
    (The Ashbrook Center? Home of wingnut welfare for over a deace? THAT Ashbrook Center?)

Not a fan in NYC.
    http://www.democracyinalbany.com/story/2005/9/24/21322/5042

Doesn't seem much interested in the disabled.
    http://www.ragged-edge-mag.com/drn/ltropporeynolds.htm

But I have no doubt that, if there's an issue on which black people can be blamed for the problems afflicting black people, he's there for lunch.
    Careful what you wish for, JW

11. given an opportunity to contribute to a meaningful discussion, it's strange that so many well-meaning people can only attack me. guess that's as far as their intellect goes.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Kind of like the way your "meaningful discussion" includes gratuitous shots at Vivain Stringer, evil woman that she is.

Draft saved Draft deleted