1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock follows through

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pocket Aces, Jun 22, 2006.

1. there was no snafu....

wright's been working on a glass piece for about 10 days. i saw him out at the park. i didn't know when his piece was giong to run. i knew he was working on it.... everybody at the star knew i was going to be spending the week out at the park covering the royals and ripping (gl)ass...i said it on this board, i said it in a column from the nba finals and i certainly made my editors aware of it a week before.

i just didn't know what day wright's piece was going to run. we often run profiles and columns together. we run news stories and opinion pieces together....

the only thing i figured from wright's piece was that david glass was uncooperative and wouldn't talk about the real issues.

justsayno, the criticism of my work speaks to the importance of what i have to say. arrogant? yes. factual? absolutely.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Fair enough. It's just I see this kind of thing happen all the time at many different papers these days. Two stories are on roughly the same subject, so they must be packaged! No matter how contradictory they might be! Yippee! What a pretty design!

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

The Royals should move to Portland.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jason, I think the amount you crap you take on this board has less to do with what you say and more with how you say it -- preening, chest-thumping, insulting and unnecessarily nasty. Factual? Sometimes. Arrogant? Always.

5. FreddiePatek

Actually, I would like to click and drag them to my recycle bin. ;D

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

Or Vegas, you could move its Triple A team to KC.

7. FreddiePatek

Here's a thought ... Whitlock and Posnanski both have been in place for quite some time. Does JW come across as arrogant? Absolutely yes, on occasion. But, does his voice not come from a place of authority, earned by putting in his time in a town? He knows what Royals fans have been through. He's not saying anything in any tone that any other Royals fan hasn't used to describe what's going on in KC.

Wow ... I apologize for that convoluted last sentence.

On a completely unrelated topic, curse you, Jason for almost talking the Chiefs into signing Jeff George all those years ago!

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was talking about his often nasty, always condescending attitude toward people on this boards trying to discuss issues. Any good point he makes is usually accompanied by an unnecessary putdown. Therefore, people on this board are more likely to fire back.

9. FreddiePatek

Fair point.

10. very fair point.... but it's an anonymous message board.... but still a fair point.

11. Da Man: I almost lost my head and my gonads almost exploded after I read your post. This board is filled with some of the ugliest, nastiest, racist (and I'm a white boy) and disgraceful venom there is on a message board and you are going to single out Jason?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

even moreso, if you look at the lead art for sunday, you'd know some damned designer had been working it for at least a day and that the package had probably been in the works for serveral days. imagine not only being so disconnected from what your paper is doing for the sunday section, but also imagine being too smug to be at a park, any park, see your boy from the office there and not even bother waling up and asking, 'so what you working on today?'

and then, the idiot is so self centered, he doesn't even notice how disengaged he really is and mentions how ignorant he is in his own column.

very gump-like there dane eater, very gump-like.

Draft saved Draft deleted