1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock dumped from The Undefeated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Whitlock is no Royko.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This is satire, right?

Because Whitlock is a hack, always has been and always will be.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think some people are jealous. Whitlock is one of the most talented columnists in sports journalism history in my opinion. He has mastered the artform of interesting reading. Say what you want about his tenure at the Undefeated ... please tell me you agree that at least he is an INCREDIBLE wordsmith?

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

5. swingline

Incredibly shitty wordsmith, yes.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, he's not.

He's a good barstool philosopher. This is no small thing - plays, movies and TV shows have been written about such men - but he's not some blue collar warrior poet. He's perceptive about people, but in a way that ultimately runs dry on hope.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's also a loudmouthed blowhard. So there's that.

8. swingline

He's the guy three seats away from you at a bar who starts talking to you, nonstop, because he can't stand the sound of silence. The kind who tries to draw you into a conversation when all you want to do is sit there and enjoy your drink. The kind who thinks everything he says is so important, *don't you think so?* The kind a guy who will try to start an argument just so he can talk some more.

Dicks, one and all.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When Whitlock was at the KC Star he was, what, maybe the 10th-best writer on the staff? And they probably all had him beat as a reporter.

It's not that he didn't bring anything to the staff, his HOT TAKES! style could be a fun balance to Posnanski and others. He also knew football and had a good rapport with some people on the Chiefs. But I can't think of a single memorable or good column he ever wrote on baseball or college basketball, which is a problem if you're a featured columnist in that market.

You got to be better than Whitlock is if you also expect people to put up with his level of bullshit in the workplace.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted