1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock dumped from The Undefeated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Charlie Weis

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dennis Green.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Larry Brown blushes.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Larry Brown has actually won something.

6. Songbird

Funny. I was going to see Gene Shue at first.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When you see him, tell him I said hello. First time I ever saw Heineken in a can, it was in Gene's hand.

8. Songbird

Soon as I look up from reading my first The Undefeated story I'll make sure to look out for Gene, and ask him about the Heineken.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks.

I'm assuming he's still alive. Dude must be pretty old by now - 83, it seems

10. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

Early 90s. I was covering the CBA Finals in Rapid City, S.D. This game was moved to a big high school because the circus bumped it from the civic center. It was on ESPN-69 or whatever; Gene Shue was doing color commentary. After filing my story and sidebars and packing up, it was after midnight. The only people left were cleaning crew, a few boozing ESPN crew people, and me. The cab company told me it would be more than an hour for pickup. I walked outside and saw a town car in the parking lot. The driver said "Are you Mr. Shue?" I grinned and said "yes, I am" and got a lift back to the Hilton.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Whitlock is disliked, I imagine, because, as the second Deadspin story suggested, he's a demeaning, patronizing, paternalistic manager who thinks the news room is a high school football locker room. Professional adults tend to object to such treatment.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Excellent take. My addendum to that is I don't know the man but it is pretty apparent he is very very talented and very very lazy. Which is fine. He needs to park himself in Los Angeles or New York and write a daily column for somebody. He doesn't even have to go to games if he doesn't want. Just be like Royko was. An observer and a talented writer. He won't have to deal with people in this day and age. There are no copy editors anymore so this extremely talented person should just write, file the column and enjoy life doing whatever a lazy person does.

Draft saved Draft deleted