1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock dumped from The Undefeated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 12, 2015.

1. NotMikeLupica

NotMikeLupica New Member

That's not a bad idea. Then, finally, the ESPN The Magazine's back page column will return to sports and not be about "post-Ferguson America."

2. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Bryant confirms on Twitter that he's joining the website, and announced that the likes of Jemele Hill, Michael Smith, LZ Granderson and Bomani Jones will contribute in the future. This website might have a prayer. Man, people must have hated the thought of working with Whitlock if those names are only jumping aboard now.

3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

You haven't been able to find a African-American writer from the main ESPN web page for some time now. Bring back Page 2, lol.

NotMikeLupica likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. I think hate might be the wrong word. Wary. Paranoid, mercurial people make me wary, too. Hard to trust em.

2. Bomani Joned intrigues me the most out of that lot, but he also may be an infrequent contributor.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Nah, hate is quite the accurate word in this case. Flat-out refusal is another way of putting it.

The fact that Bryant is coming on and was able to secure those commitments immediately isn't coincidental.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why do they hate him? On the behalf of others who worked under him? His worldview?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know Whitlock, but judging from his interactions with me and others here (when he was here) and having read what he's written and what others have written and said about him, I sure have the impression that Jason Whitlock would be in the running for worst boss to work for of all time.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I think he has issues with people disagreeing with him moreso than the opposite. The Undefeated, in his mind, was built to execute his opinions and his views. So the writers had to be in-line with his thinking. Clearly someone line LZ Granderson isn't going to agree with him on much so why would he write under his banner?

From a managerial standpoint I've never gotten the impression he understands how to treat people in general and especially women and given that he's pretty open about his enjoyment of strip clubs that doesn't shock me.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Nobody recycles like big media companies.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just give him a card. After the 7th move the 8th move is free.

Enough with the Whitlock.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is Whitlock the Lovie Smith of journalists? Or maybe Norv Turner? Chan Gailey?

Draft saved Draft deleted