1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock done all around ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by loveyabye, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

It's laughable how thin-skinned the suits at the "Worldwide Leader" are. Bunch of pussies.

Whitlock didn't say anything that wasn't true.

Props.

2. well, just had a curious one-question phone interview with george solomon that ended with george uncomfortably telling me he wishes he could be my editor so he could take out or change a sentence or two.

i've always been a big fan of george's. don't really know him. but he seemed scared as hell to talk with me. just odd. his column will be interesting.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What was the question, JW?

From ESPN.com:
    Ombudsman George Solomon is the public's representative to ESPN, offering independent examination and analysis of ESPN's programming. The longtime Washington Post sports editor and columnist will critique decision-making, coverage and presentation of news, issues and events.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Love Jason. Loved the column. Love the backbone.

Now, in the interest of equal time, I think thebiglead.com should offer Scoop the chance to respond.

Lupica would never likely agree to do it, so why bother, but I'd like to see Scoop get that opportunity. I don't like Scoop, agree with Jason 101 percent, but considering the fallout, I'd like to see what Scoop might say.

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

We're on this.

Not sure what we're looking forward to more:
    Solomon
    Scoop
    Scoop's chat
    Whitlock's AOL piece

6. might've been two questions.. first was do i think something can be worked out to get me back on the network... but those weren't the exact words because it was about me asking to get back on the network... my response was i don't work anywhere where i'm not wanted, blah, blah, blah....

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

E: All of the above.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

Jason, first of all, great job. Congrats on your new venture, and I wish you well in building the AOL Sports brand.

Stop me if this has been discussed, but Mushnick at the NY Post has been on a crusade against the ESPN-ing of our country for the better part of 10 years, maybe longer. I would say about 95 percent of his remarks are on target, while it seems the other five percent of his criticisms are a reach.

That said, I am sorry ESPN does not see eye-to-eye with you, and the company's thin-skinnedness is obviously legendary, as numerous Page 2 columnists have mentioned in writing about their inability to criticize pretty much anything about the network. The more I read your columns and listened to your opinions on PTI, the more I came to respect you. Personally, I think anyone with a functioning brain no longer watches SportsCenter anymore; the only intelligent programs being PTI and OTL.

The NFL is another story. The NFL's PR people have to be among the most powerful people in sports for their ability to keep a potential steroid scandal in check.

But I digress...Jason, your werewithal and willingness to not back down is something that all journalists should aspire to be. Good luck to you.

9. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Hats off Jason. It's great seeing columnists stand up for what they believe in, particularly when they're in the right.

And if you need a job, I can probably get you on at All-American Burger, just let me talk to Dennis Taylor. [​IMG]

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just once, I'd like to see Solomon empty both barrels into ESPN. His criticism of ESPN always reads like a grandpa gently scolding a child.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're right. Good analogy... always, "well, they did this. I would have liked to see that."

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think the episode is underappreciated.

Can you imagine having a tentful of horny soldiers who think they're going to see a skin movie, and then it turns out to be State Fair? That would suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted