1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock done all around ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by loveyabye, Sep 25, 2006.

1. So, it's not a teensy bit arrogant to basically say that Scoop has to be what we want him to be? If that's not him, then it's not. We can't change Scoop to who we want him to be.

Like I said, writers have different approaches and different styles. The column Scoop wrote today was in response mode. I could write a column exactly like the one Scoop would normally write and in that language, but that's not who I am. Scoop can write a different kind of column, but that doesn't change the fact that isn't who he is. And by the way, I have seen more than a few writers eschew traditional language and grammatical structure for dramatic effect.

Is Scoop a must-read for me? No. But I do respect what he has achieved, just as I would any person, black or white, in his position. He has an audience, whether some of you like it or not.

As for whether he's a role model, I think it's obvious. Generally, he's a positive person who climbed a ladder to achieve success. He's not out here robbing anyone, dealing drugs or beating up old ladies. You may not like him as a writer, but clearly he stands up for what he believes in and is not afraid to voice his opinion. Instead of simplifying things by trying to use all his columns as an example of what not to do in English class, understand that young, black people identify with him. As he wrote, he is encouraging them to be successful and if anything, they're learning that you don't have to be like everyone else to achieve something.

There is room for both JW and Scoop in this industry. Two different voices that have their own measure of importance.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you sure do have high standards for a role model

3. young black people identify with 50 Cent and he's certainly achieved a measure of success in the music industry. but he's not a role model and i don't have any respect for 50 Cent....and occasionally i enjoy some of 50 Cent's music. overall i'd like for him to be run out of the music industry or rap about something else....

scoop's shtick is disingenuous and so is this column...."jason didn't return my call and he didn't speak to me in dallas." it's always the little lies that give you away.....

where is your defense of mike lupica? he has a following and a position. you'd appear more consistent if you also defended lupica. right now your defense appears to be.... scoop is black and above criticism because he's black.

4. Scoop and 50? Ooh, no. I don't think you can compare someone who encourages shooting people and selling drugs for a living to ... a writer.

And I certainly don't think black people are above criticism. But just like you did not want to castigate Barry and prop him up as the inventor of steroids, I also disagree that Scoop is what's wrong with black folks and what's wrong with journalism. In my opinion, Scoop is no different than Bill Simmons. They both have a style that they use to their advantage. Some folks love it. Some folks hate it. It doesn't bother me a whit that neither is a conventional journalist.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And again I say ... This world needs more Chuck D, less Flavor Flav.

6. "In no way was it ever about I."

I don't know about that, slap.
    As I've said, I don't have any problem with Scoop and the fact that he chooses to write in a certain idiom. (I have not a clue how to respond to the criticism of whether or not he's "good for" black folks, because I'm outside that argument.) Winchell did it. HST did it. Simmons does it, and he's a crashing bore. But lines like the above, well, if you're going to build as house, any kind of house, you shouldn't drive nails into your own feet.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't say how much more...but more

8. XXXX

XXXX Member

i agree completely with jersey guy a few posts back. by toning down his act and actually writing words that appear in the dictionary he completely proves whitlock's point. scoop is a guy that in his last column actually said that T.O.'s attempted suicide was a good thing for him. i did not read it (i refuse to actually read columns that i can't understand that is why i don't read chinese newspapers), but i did see the teaser for it on the front page of espn.com. also i dont think simmons was throwing jason under the bus, i just think his words were misinterpretted. i feel he was coming from the angle like "is gaining respect worth more than your job?" but that could be just me because i love his columns.

9. cw1975,

i am not comparing scoop and 50.... i'm pointing out the flaw in assigning respect based on whether someone has gained success within a particular industry or whether kids identify with them.

someone needed to slap some sense into scoop. i decided to do it. i know a lot of people are upset with me for spanking scoop publicly. i can live with it. his act was tired and inappropriate for the platform. espn was perfectly comfortable letting him flavor flav for readers. i wasn't. it was dishonest and insulting. let's hope he continues to write like a grown man from here on out. one day he will thank me and so will you for stopping his embarrassing act.

xxxx,

i don't think simmons threw me under a bus. he didn't. simmons doesn't understand me. i am not in this for a paycheck and you don't need e s p n to spell whitlock. this is not arrogance. it's a jimmy and joyce whitlock thing. they made me, not espn. you would be surprised, there are people in this industry who don't believe they need espn to be relevant. my ideas, my integrity and my work ethic will make me relevant. if that sounds arrogant, i apologize. it's embarrassing to watch other sports media outlets and indviduals bend over in awe of espn.

10. deportes

deportes Member

jason,

do you like stephen a. smith?

11. beardown

beardown Member

On this subject, I agree with Whitlock without question.

I tuned out Scoop when he started macking on Dana Jacobson on Cold Pizza. Every week he was talking about her looks, etc., when she was interviewing him. C'mon, it's a national TV show. Throw a little flavor out there but don't act like a gansta wannabee.

I can't watch the Sports Reporters with Lupica. To me he's a cross between Ray Barone from Everyone Loves Raymond and some defensive, insecure baseball-card collecting big mouth. He gets to stay home and write columns then preach to the almighty cathedral of sports fans every Sunday morning. He's the Sean Hannity of ESPN, only more likely to cry if he doesn't get his way.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i don't know why, but i found this funny...

on the front page of espn.com:

Draft saved Draft deleted