1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock crushes Thayer Evans and SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's really not that shocking. Dismaying, yes, but not shocking.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

As I've said many, many times in the past, I don't care whether something is "textbook journalism" or the "ethical standard." I care about why it is the standard. Because in many cases, it has nothing to do with protecting sources, serving readers, or even getting at the truth. It's about journalists protecting themselves and justifying otherwise immoral things.

So once again I ask: why is the bright-line rule you've created the appropriate ethical standard? What makes it ethical? Or should we also simply blindly follow rules created by other people who haven't justified them?

And again, why wouldn't Evans use a notebook or a recorder? Unless his memory is perfect---which is extraordinarily difficult to believe---there is no way his accuracy would not be improved by using these tools. So the only reason I could see for not using them is an attempt to deceive the source into forgetting that his comments might be published verbatim. And that certainly seems like a more plausible explanation than that Evans possesses perfect recall.*

* Or he just doesn't care about accuracy.

3. lcjjdnh

And I find extraordinarily dismaying how supposedly skeptical journalists are always so willing to defend certain journalists despite the many, many flaws of the media.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As opposed to blindly believing the athlete and assuming that the journalist did something unethical.

5. lcjjdnh

Thayer Evans has many platforms on which he could publish a response. He has yet to do so. Until he does, I'll assume that this is the truth.

And, in any case, many of you are defending Evans's actions even assuming the allegations are true.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) You serve your readers by reporting the truth.

2) "Protecting sources," does not mean you have some obligation to an interview you approach to explain to them that their friends not like what they have to say finding its way to print. It is THEIR obligation to consider that. You are there to ask questions. The person doesn't have to answer them. Protecting a source, in journalistic terms, has always meant that if you promise someone anonymity in return for information, you will honor that anonymity no matter the consequences for yourself.

3) Ethical standards exist to guide people who don't have a clue what is fair game in pursuing that truth -- the methods that are reasonable for pursuing a story. If you don't understand why identifying yourself by name and publication is a reasonable standard for approaching a source, I am not going to be able to get through to you.

4) I have no idea if Evans had a notebook or recorder. Just like you, I wasn't there. Regardless of how he conducted the interview, if you have evidence that he misquoted or attributed something incorrectly to Pogi, feel free to tell everyone what you know.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not "defending" anyone, much less a "certain journalist" whom I'd never heard of until a few days ago.

I'm being a skeptical (actually, cynical) journalist in relation to the "Oh, my God, I didn't know!" claims of an interview subject who, again, does not like that he has ended up at the centre of controversy.

Too bad you won't or can't see it from that point of view. You're too hung up on the "many, many flaws of the media."

Not that the media and its members aren't flawed, mind you. And if it turns out that Thayer Evans misrepresented himself or misquoted Pogi because he didn't record the interview or didn't take proper notes, then by all means let's rake him over the coals.

But I'm not going to do it based solely on the words of a guy who's clearly in damage control mode.

8. lcjjdnh

Interesting. Yet many people would find it unethical to pay sources for stories, even though that would serve readers by providing more of the "truth". One wonders if this is so that journalists may extract the profits from stories for themselves, rather than allowing the profits to accrue to people that actually have the useful information people are interested in reading.

So you believe a journalists is never under any obligation to protect a source, if not anonymous? A journalists should rest easy knowing he provided the truth, even if it will lead a source to be physically attacked?

But that is not "reasonable" when the journalist takes other steps to hide his true intentions. Again, please tell me why, assuming what this person says is true, Evans would not have used a tape recorder or notebook at the interview. I have no plausible reason that would explain this except deception.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The crux of this issue is going to be if he had a recorder or notebook.

If he didn't have either, that's inexcusable.

If he didn't have a recorder, on a story of this magnitude, knowing it would get picked apart, he's an idiot.

Again, IF he didn't have either, that makes me think something fishy is going on here. Why wouldn't he want a record of this conversation?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He may very well have had a recorder.

That doesn't mean Pogi is lying about not seeing one.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

You do like to assume, don't you? And you know what happens when you assume..... :)

12. lcjjdnh

Sources almost always have something to gain from talking to the media, so if we're taking the default posture that a source with some other motivation is lying, then we should often be assuming that stories in various publications are not true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.