1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock crushes Thayer Evans and SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's nothing clear about it.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Has Thayer Evans denied any part of this person's story? Would you defend his actions assuming it's true?

3. Mizzougrad96

He approached me and just said ‘hey, I’m doing a story with Sports Illustrated. I’m so-and-so Thayer Evans and I know you from back in the day.... and I’m doing this deal. I’m with Sports Illustrated and I’m doing this deal with OSU.’

So, he identified himself as a reporter, who he works for, that he may remember him from before and that he's doing a story on OSU.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am assuming Pogi didn't record or take notes either. So why believe what he says verbatim?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, but I'd rather not assume it's true. I'd rather know for sure. So, yeah, I would look forward to Evans clarifying his interviewing technique. But that doesn't mean I'm automatically going to believe the other guy just because he doesn't like his role in a story that has made him uncomfortable.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

According to Pogi, it went something like, "Excuse me, I'm Thayer Evans. I'm doing a story for Sports Illustrated."

There is nothing deceptive or immoral about approaching someone that way.

You keep using the word "misleading." Identifying yourself and your publication is not misleading. Misleading would be lying about who you are to get someone to speak.

If you identify yourself, and ask a question and the person CHOOSES to answer it, you have only one obligation. That is to quote, or attribute the information, accurately.

7. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Then if Thayer wants to clear it up, he can produce the recording. You did it. I've seen others do it. If the guy's lying, call him out on it.

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Which is made a lot more difficult without a recorder or notebook. Which makes it awfully suspicious when a reporter does not use one, because his obvious intent is to try to make the source forget that what he says will be published on the record (assuming the source even recognized that it might be in the first place). How is that not an attempt to be misleading?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps Evans had a recorder in his shirt pocket and the former QB didn't notice it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Plenty of reporters don't use recorders. I covered a guy early in my career who would freak the fuck out if he said "We're going to play a game." and he was quoted as "We're going to play the game."

After that, I always used one.

If I was Evans' editor at SI, Pogi's own comments make it completely clear that Evans represented himself exactly the way he should have.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, you have your narrative figured out. What you actually know, and don't know, be damned.

I have no idea how Thayer took notes or recorded the conversation. He might have total recall, for all I know. It really doesn't matter, unless you are claiming he misquoted or attributed things falsely to Pogi.

If you want to make that claim, great. Now back it up.

But based on what Pogi said, he did not "mislead" anyone. He identified himself. He stated that he was working on a story for Sports Illustrated. He asked questions.

It's shocking that there are people on a journalism thread who don't understand that that is textbook journalism. And it *is* the ethical standard for how to approach a source.

Pogi had three choices. Say he doesn't want to talk, answer the questions and tell the truth, or answer the questions and lie.

12. Mizzougrad96

Pogi never says he was misquoted. He says a quote was taken out of context, which is the athlete equivalent of saying you failed a drug test because someone spiked your Gatorade.

If anything, the guy from the Tulsa paper tries harder to discredit Evans than Pogi does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.