1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock crushes Thayer Evans and SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is quite a tongue lashing.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Jason_Whitlock_slams_SI_writer_Thayer_Evans/11-22173

2. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Yea, I am sure that Whitlock said all of that without malice and that none of it was personal.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whitlock something something hates reporter X something something blah blah blah search and replace

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's nothing personal, but I'm just calling him unethical and unable to look past his Oklahoma fandom...
    It's nothing personal, but I'm just calling him illiterate.

Whitlock said similar things about Charles Robinson's piece on Miami. And while I can somewhat agree with the contention that these stories of corruption are tiresome, it might actually be helpful to keep the topic in the news until the system finally IS corrected.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's nothing personal, but he's a homer and has no credibility...

Good lord...

6. VJ

VJ Member

It's depressing reading media critics of SI's story saying they should be doing the digging on the NCAA, when those same critics have a platform and audience but are too lazy to do it themselves.

7. JHath

JHath Member

Surprised that the World didn't mention in this blog that Thayer once worked there. It was as an intern, but it still should be mentioned.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I know people automatically dismiss stuff that comes out of Whitlock's mouth because it comes out of Whitlock's mouth, but is there any merit to what he says? I saw some other Thayer Evans flak today, but I know nothing of the guy's history. There's always blowback at these stories, usually from fanbois, but this is the first time I've seen other journalists jumping on the bandwagon. That strikes me as... interesting.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If what Thayer reported is flawed, then tell HOW it is flawed. An ad hominem attack of the guy -- with the "I have nothing against him," and then proceeding to insult him in 10,000 different ways -- shouldn't persuade anyone of anything.

The part I liked the most was how Whitlock "think(s) the story is a cliché and bogus and suspect and just the wrong angle," even though "When I learned Thayer Evans was involved, I just said, there's no way I'll read this because there's no reason to trust this reporter on anything of substance."

If the story is biased or flawed, then there should be plenty of ammo to discredit the story. I'll listen to that, if someone has something to offer.

But this crap was a cheap shot. ... and lame. ... even IF the story later gets discredited.

Out of curiousity, can anyone tell me where I can go to check out Whitlock's portfolio of investigative reporting work? I am not sure where I can find it.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

To be fair, Whitlock isn't the only one who thinks Evans is a hack. He's been taken to task by lots of people over what is perceived to be shoddy, singled-sourced reporting on stuff like the recruitment of Jamarkus McFarland by Texas (he signed with Oklahoma) and
    the Cam Newton scandal.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He worked his corner, curb-stomping Thayer Evans on that corner. I think Whitlock is pulling a Scicluna, except in his own inflammatory, lower-end-prose manner.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're going to call a reporter out for work they've done on a story, that's one thing, but I want a better reason than "He's an OU homer."

That's a fan board response. I want a solid reason why this guy's OSU reporting is inaccurate. If you don't have a reason, shut your fucking mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.