1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock column on Bill Maas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

If that's the case, twoback, then don't relate him to higher-profile national cases like Vick, Jones and OJ just so you can make it about race.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

If Maas retains prominent celebrity status in KC, I admit I was unaware, but to the rest of the country he's just some vaguely recalled lineman who played for the Chiefs in the 80 & early 90s.

And, spnited's right, his false comparison to cases like Vick's is ludicrous. Vick was prominent national figure and one of highest paid players in sports when his scandal hit, Maas was a washed up has-been who few outside of KC remember. To suggest they should recieve a similar degree of publicity is absurd.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Whitlock hasn't exactly been playing the traditional race card lately. He came out and said the anger over Imus' remarks was misplaced anger and he took sides last month against Wilbon on the issue with John Thompson's son.

I see Whitlock's point on this one.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You're right. His new and improved version of the card more often than not derides black people, a far cry from the old version's pro-blackness which made it illegitimate.

5. Please tell me you don't think this is inaccurate?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

It is, in my mind, totally inaccurate because Bill Maas is not the high-profile current athlete Jones or Vick is and never had OJ's profile.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I agree. It sort of goes along the lines of the whole Leonard Little angle Bill Simmons recently co-signed. You're going to spend more time on a story explaining who Leonard Little is and his importance before getting to the nuts and bolts of the story itself.

OJ, Vick, and others are ahead of that curve and need no explaination regarding who they are. But with that being said, the legitimacy of these truths are far too often misused when it does come to high profile white athletes in legal trouble.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, because none of us have ever used a national context to make a local point.
    Just so we're clear on that.

9. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Could you give examples of the cases you're referring to here?

Draft saved Draft deleted