1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock canonizes Favre

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Derek_W, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10325372/It's-the-Truth:-Favre's-proving-Thompson-wrong

I'm a huge Vikings and Favre fan, but even I'm surprised at how far Jason goes in his praise of Favre.

Thoughts?

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

"What Favre has done so far this season is the stuff of legends. It surpasses Ruth's "called shot" in the 1932 World Series and Joe Namath's Super Bowl guarantee. I'd put Favre's 2009 performance on par with the "Miracle on Ice" and Ali's "Rumble in the Jungle" victory."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Typical Whitlock. Favre is the most polarizing figure in professional sports right now. And taking his side, especially like this, will rile people up. I doubt he believes what he's writing, but that's not the point.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Favre was playing behind the Packer OL this year, he would be dead.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Well more than half of their wins have come against the Rams, Browns, Lions and a team that has allowed 31 sacks.

Yes, a majestic achievement.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

nothing like waiting until the season's over. how'd brett and the jets finish the 2008 season? does whitlock review movies where he leaves halfway through?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You completely missed the point of the article. Whitlock does everything but pee on Ted Thompson's front lawn in insulting the guy. It's less about canonizing Favre than pointing out an idiot runs the Packers.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Thompson made the right move. As someone pointed out, Favre would be getting killed behind that offensive line. More importantly, had they kept Favre around, Rodgers would likely have walked at some point, and then the franchise would truly be fucked.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whitlock's argument is that Thompson could have used the pick that gained them Rodgers on a different player. He could have traded for Randy Moss. There were many things that could have been done to improve the team around Favre from the day Thompson signed up.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Whitlock is so fucked in the head.

I'm no Ted Thompson Kool-Aid drinker, but Favre would be doing far worse and making far dumber decisions than Aaron Rodgers is at the moment and would be a bigger bitch about it too. The Packers would be much worse off for it.

Thompson is an arrogant hard-to-love figure, but he ain't a moron because Diva Favre only wanted to be in Green Bay on Favre's terms.

As for the column, bunnies don't get much browner.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Randy Moss meme (you know I'm pissed if I use the word "meme") is one of the most ridiculous there is surrounding Favre.

Yes, the Patriots went 16-0 that season. The Packers went 13-3, and instead of Favre zeroing in on one receiver to the point of ridiculousness, which he would have done had Moss been there, he got to spread the ball around to Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Donald Lee.

Not getting Moss presumes the Packers' receiving corps sucked. It was one of the deepest in the league in '07. Favre's bitching about Moss was diva-ish to the nth degree.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would respond to this, but I don't want to pile on to what Bubbler is doing to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted