1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whither Terrelle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As I watch Cam Newton rise to national prominence, can't ehlp but wonder how much Terrelle Pryor would have been in a Spread O system.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He'd be Denard Robinson +++ I believe.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

With all the scumbags Urban Meyer has kept on his roster, why would Newton get tossed for "just" stealing a computer?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't get the impression Newton was "tossed." He was on Rome is Burning yesterday and said he transferred because Tebow came back for his senior year.

And it was still a good move for Prior to go to Ohio State. He wants to be an NFL QB and playing in Ohio State's pro-style offense is better for his development than running some sort of spread option and then being drafted and having to completely learn an NFL offense at that high level.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Didn't Newton quit the team at Florida? I don't think he was kicked off. I could be wrong.
    And I don't think he stole a laptop. I think he unknowingly bought a stolen one.

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

For as large & strong as the kid (Pryor) looks to be, he's spent a lot of time injured. Hasn't missed a TON of time, but significant, limiting injuries. Ribs and knee as a frosh, knee again last year (still wearing the brace), quad this season. If he was in a true spread (particularly a read option), I question how durable he would have been. For whatever reason, that seems to be a bit of an issue.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He definitely was not kicked off. Has Meyer kicked anyone off since he's been there? I don't think he'd kick Ted Bundy off his team if he thought he could contribute.

I'm a little sympathetic to the "purchasing stolen goods" by college kids, because there are so many transactions like that in college where you have no idea if someone is just moving and looking to get rid of stuff or if it was stolen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. Newton is nowhere near the kind of misfit we often see in college.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Tebow ran the spread and was a first round pick. I'm pretty sure Pryor won't sniff the first round.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, Bundy did score four touchdowns for Polk High.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So did/was Alex Smith

Pryor would have been better off going to a spread O program. He just has not developed the way he should have at Ohio State.

Texas, Florida, Michigan, Oregon all would have been better choices.

At time Auburn would not have worked. Works for Newton now because Gus Malzone is there, combined with his experience at Florida.

12. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I said this a year ago and Ohio State fans thought I was crazy. If he was going to be a good pocket passer, I think he would be by now after the better part of two years as the full-time starter. Strange how every time they've gotten beat the last couple of years, teams have done it by making him throw it.

Draft saved Draft deleted