1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whither Jean-Jacques Taylor?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It appears Jacques may be going the way of Todd Archer. Is the DMN brain drain continuing apace?

Jacques wasn't on his Sunday morning show on the Ticket this morning. His partner, Scot Harrison, mentioned Jacques is pursuing an "offer he couldn't refuse" and Scot later tweeted that the new opportunity means JJT can't be on the Ticket (which partners with the DMN).

That must mean ESPN, which competes with the Ticket on radio and now apparently has designs on the DMN. The Mouse must be really getting serious.

Total speculation at this point, but hey, isn't that what the Internet is for? :)

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i get that they're 'America's (most overrated) Team' and all the jazz, but how many reporters does espn.com need to cover them? is that like a 'changing the lightbulb' question? ??? ??? ???

speaking of mickey mouse's favorite operation, have they yet gotten ANYONE to say 'yes' to replacing departing tim graham as its afc east compiler? i've only heard the names of a buncha folks who've just said 'no,' most recently the star-ledger's jenny vrentas (who does a very nice job on the jets' beat, by the way). i know at least one other (and probably more) woman have also turned 'em down. anyone hear anything? ??? ??? ???

3. Andy_Cunanan

Andy_Cunanan New Member

Wouldn't be suprised if dallasnews.com's sports leadership team contributed to the motivation for any move (in addition to, of course, the better pay and benefits, job stability, company value, etc.)

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

ESPN it is, apparently.

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2011/07/14/jean-jacques-taylor-and-sam-gwynne-decamp-morning-news/

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Dallas Morning News just needs to hire a couple of the NFL guys who were cast off from FanHouse and it will be fine.

That's not a knock at Archer, who is great, or anyone else ESPN Dallas has hired (all great hires), but there is plenty of talent out there.

6. Baba_Booey

Baba_Booey Member

Shockey, I'm curious. Where is Tim Graham going?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Unless Belo's fortunes take another drop, it's obvious the bean counters realized they'd trimmed the DMN too far... I can't see too much more happening with this paper. These positions will probably be filled, albeit at a lesser salary...

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

JJT hasn't been a Cowboys beat guy for several years. He's been a columnist.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who did Archer replace at the DMN?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

I am not at all sure. just know he will no longer be the afc east blogmeister.

11. Back to the Buffalo News to be a Metro enterprise writer. Great move for Tim, who gets a lot more stability now to raise his two young kids.

And imagine that -- leaving ESPN.com for a newspaper!

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, how 'bout that? also confirms my opinion that these nfl 'division blogs' espn.com isn't a great gig for any experienced person who desires to improve as a writer. among the reasons they've had a hard time filling it; they filled the recently-available nfc east gig with dan graziano, an excellent pickup. but he was coming in from having no gig as a yahoo casualty, so he was more than happy to land with an arm of the 'worldwide leader' for probably not an awful lot once you factor in no benefits.

Draft saved Draft deleted