1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Whitey' Bulger arrested in Santa Monica

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

He killed a distant cousin of mine who I never met, and never knew I was related to until just a few years ago.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I plan to pick up Black Mass and Citizen of Somerville after reading reviews on Amazon. Howie Carr's book is with Bulger's feared enforcer, but I thought that was Steven "Rifleman" Flemmi, no?

I was always fascinated with the back-and-forth between Boston and Providence over control of the rest of New England. Hartford was caught in the middle, with the last mob-related hit in the early 90s. It was such a dead city at that point that no one claimed it. Now, the Albanians have moved in.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Kevin Weeks was Bulger's top thug. Flemmi and Bulger were more or less co-CEOs of Winter Hill.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Those old bosses usually find a way to get sick when they finally have to face the music.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"As for our problem with Providence¡­.

let's not cry over spilled guineas."

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, he'll die of natural causes before anyone could ever execute him.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Santa Monica's lousy with crackers. And Brit expats, too.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It would have been much cooler if he'd been nabbed back home while attending the Bruins' parade.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hopefully someone scores a Whitey interview. Be fun to hear his take on Boston sports scene and Grantland.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“He was a mawbstah, but so what? Everybawdy’s got an occupation.”

Southie reacts to Bulger's arrest ... http://bcove.me/iu1z6tsa

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Report: Bulger Lived in Santa Monica for 15 Years, Paid Rent in Cash
    The alleged mob boss and his girlfriend were ideal tenants, according to a report.

By Kurt Orzeck James "Whitey" Bulger and Catherine Greig moved into their Santa Monica apartment roughly 15 years ago and paid their rent in cash, according to The Associated Press.

Two property managers of the Princess Eugenia apartment complex reportedly spoke with AP. They also said Bulger and Greig used the aliases "Charles Gasko" and "Carol Gasko," and that they were ideal tenants who were never late on their rent.

The rent for the apartment was $1,145 a month, AP reports.

On Wednesday night, the alleged mob boss and his longtime girlfriend were arrested at the Princess Eugenia apartment, which is located at 1012 Third St., just south of Washington Blvd.

http://backbay.patch.com/articles/report-bulger-lived-in-santa-monica-for-15-years-paid-rent-in-cash

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Whitey Bulger arrested

A clear plastic bag removed Thursday morning from Bulger's apartment contained boxes of .357 Magnum bullets, and another bag was labeled miscellaneous firearms and accessories.
    In addition, a large stash of cash was recovered, described by one source as "hundreds of thousands of dollars," reports CBS station WBZ.

It's still not clear how long Bulger and his longtime girlfriend Catherine Greig were living in Santa Monica.

"We have no reason to believe he has not been there for some degree of time," said Richard DesLauriers, the head of Boston FBI.

Despite that, the stockpile of cash in the apartment indicated that Bulger was ready to move when necessary, the station reports.

When Bulger was arrested outside the apartment, he did not resist but was "verbally combative," reports the station.

"He eventually settled down and has been speaking with authorities. It's not clear that he has offered anything of substance," CBS News correspondent Bob Orr said.

Orr added that it seems that Bulger and Greig were living on their own with no obvious network of supporters, but that part of the investigation is continuing.

Authorities have not revealed the name of the person who tipped off police. There was a $2 million reward out for information leading to Bulger's arrest and $100,000 for Greig.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20073768-504083.html#ixzz1Q8RfBWRZ

Draft saved Draft deleted