1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Whitey' Bulger arrested in Santa Monica

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure plenty of (former) officials are not thrilled by his arrest.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The malfeasance and corruption of Boston FBI officials is known but not on nationwide basis.

Guessing this trial would be high profile and huge black eye for the FBI.

3. YankeeFan

The whole idea of "life on the lam" has always fascinated me. (I very nearly typed, "life on the lamb." Thank God I caught myself.)

How would you do it? Where would you go? Where do you get your documents? How do you blend in?

I'll be interested to know where he's been and how easily he's been able to travel. I hope we get the whole story.

I'm not sure where I'd go. I'd think that being a pale face like Whitey would limit my options. Not as many countries where I'd blend in. I'd think a racially ambiguous look would be advantageous.

4. YankeeFan

And, you've got to think he'll use this to his advantage.

I'm sure the FBI would prefer to avoid a trial, but at his age, almost any sentence will be a life sentence. I'd guess they'll use the (potential) prosecution of his girlfriend as leverage to try to get him to plea.

And, since he'll likely never be granted bail, they'll probably try to delay a trial for as long as possible.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He speaks a dozen languages and knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the grail already.

Excuse me, does anyone here speak English?

:D

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"He got lost in his own museum once."

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, suburban America is about the easiest place to hide in for someone like yourself there is. Look at those wanted '60s women radicals who became suburban housewives and lived free for decades before turning themselves in out of boredom. Bulger was a fugitive for 17 extremely well-publicized years, and he was living in plain sight among other old folks in Santa Monica.
    I bet if he'd moved to the Villages, he'd be a free man yet.

8. YankeeFan

LOL.

I guess I was thinking if I fled the country.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I love seeing Howie Carr look like a complete ass. He's been doing victory laps for over a year about the Globe's layoffs, and right now, the Herald is having buyouts, with layoffs likely to follow.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Whitey Bulger was a key figure in the 2007 SJ Team Novel, disbanded after 15 awesome chapters by Kindred, Jones, Bubbler, DDown, spaceman, jgmacg, Pete, Moddy, BYH, FOTF, Ragu, 21/Boom, and if I'm forgetting someone I'm so so sorry.

A few years too soon; would have been a great serial on Grantland.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

A bigger piece of excrement may never have existed, at least, not one from the neighborhood (mom and dad are from Charlestown but I got kinfolk as we say down here all over Southie and Dorchester).
    So glad they got this motherfucker. Motherfucking finally.
    Too bad Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty. Sumbitch deserves to die at the hands of the government that enabled him for so long.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The feds have the death penalty, and he's going to be brought up on federal charges. He'll never live long enough to get the chair, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted